Rio5 Check Engine LIght

My 2006 Rio5 just started showing the check engine light (6000km). Is there a way to get the code without a reader? It is going to take a few days to get it into the dealer and I would like to know if it is anything serious. In some other vehicles I had, there was a way to get the Check Engine Light to flash the code.

Thanks for any assistance.

BTW, The gas cap is tight ;)

Reply to
Rio5

Greetings,

On the current OBD-II electronics in today's cars there is no way to pull a code without a reader. Sorry.

However, you can usually go to any local auto parts store and they will read the codes for free for you. The problem is that some of the codes and explanations aren't exactly clear and it's still going to take a qualified mechanic to fix most of the problems. Once you get the code(s) you can go here for a brief explanation of each

or
Since a loose gas cap can also set your check engine light off, the first and simplest thing is to make sure the cap is tight. Anything else past that is going to get more complex.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Thanks for your reply. On further research, I found similar information to what you have posted. Those links will come in handy as well.

Thanks again for your reply.

Reply to
Rio5

a obdII ready can be found on eBay for under $40. it will give you only the codes. you can get the meaning at

ordisconnect the batery for 5 or more minutes, this will loose the radiosettings that's all. it will reset the computer. if you get a CEL afterthat, then act on the information. Mine it was the Idle Air Control.specifically the connector ground was correded. 2 seconds with some radioshack contact cleaner, and it's not been a problem since.

Reply to
helix