Brake Problem

For several weeks, I thought that I had a loose connection in my electrical system because my parking brake light flickered on and off. I brought this to the attention of the group, and it was correctly suggested that I was low on brake fluid. When I heard this, I checked my tires for a tell-tale drip and the garage floor as well. No evidence. It has been a couple of weeks now, and I still have no detectable leak or flickering idiot light. Since brake fluid cannot evaporate, I was wondering if anyone had an explanation for this phenomenon. Thanks.

Reply to
Scribner

One possible answer is this:

As the linings on the brakes wear (get thinner), the volume of brake fluid increases in the slave cylinders, calipers and brake lines. This would result in the volume of brake fluid in the master cylinder (where you added the brake fluid) to decrease. If you have not noticed any leaks, funny burning smells coming from the wheel areas, or pulling to one side or the other when you apply the brakes, this is probably the answer---

Reply to
FerdyPooh

Reply to
Scribner

Hi, Maybe there wsn't enough brake fluid put intothe master cylinder in the first place and as the brake pad wear has increased the fluid has gone down to the lower level required.

Reply to
The Doghandler

That would make sense. When they put on the new pads, they forced some liquid out by opening up the calipers. But, since they didn't get an idiot light, they didn't refill the master cylinder. When the pads wore down, I reached critical mass and received the light. Thanks. It is just nice to know that I do a better brake job than the pros.

Reply to
Scribner