Clutch trouble in Kia Pride

Hi all,

My car is a Kia Pride, J reg. My clutch has been giving me some trouble.

On Christmas Day I drove from London to Brighton and back, and my clutch kept slipping. It was particularly bad at high speeds going up hills: on some of the uphill bits of the A23 I couldn't do more than 40 mph. It was also bad pulling away from lights. I didn't dare go on the motorway with it like that, so I took the slow road home.

Since then it hasn't given me any trouble, although I have been driving around suburban London at up to 40mph (mostly 30) for 6-12 hours every day. Repeated attempts to get the clutch to slip by pushing the accelerator to the floor have failed to cause the problem.

It also exhibited occasional slipping about two months ago for about 2 days.

Is the clutch finished? Will it completely break in a potentially dangerous or inconvenient way? I can live with it having a bad clutch day once every two months. I can even live with it never exceeding 40 mph, although I'd rather not.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
John Rowland

"John Rowland" wrote

Normally, if a clutch is slipping, this is due to a worn clutch plate, or weakening of the springs in the pressure plate.

Neither of these faults are normally intermittant.

It sounds to me (and please bear in mind that it isn`t easy to do fault diagnosis via computer and modem) that your crankshaft oil seal has failed and your clutch is being contaminated by engine oil.

-- Regards, Vince

Truck Driving In Russia-

Knight of the Road