Engine 'check' light on '96 Sportage

Just recently the engine check light sometimes comes on whilst running and can either stay on till I switch off, or goes out after few minutes. I'm having no problems with starting or running, no misfires, etc. so what could the problem be ??

Reply to
halifaxsteve

"" wrote: > Just recently the engine check light sometimes comes on whilst > running and > can either stay on till I switch off, or goes out after few > minutes. I'm > having no problems with starting or running, no misfires, etc. > so what > could the problem be ??

It can be many things, your best bet is to take it to a shop have it scaned while the light is on.

Check your gas cap. If it is not tightened to 3 clicks or more the check engine light will come on.

After tightening it it could take 5-10 mile for it to go out.

Is your light continually flashing?

Reply to
KIAPartscom

'check' light does not flash at all. It either comes on & stays on till engine is switched off, or comes on for a short while then goes off again.

Reply to
halifaxsteve

"" wrote: > 'check' light does not flash at all. It either comes on & > stays on till > engine is switched off, or comes on for a short while then > goes off again.

Have you checked the gas cap? The gasket could be worn out.

The only other thing is to take it in while it is doing it. Have it checked.

Reply to
KIAPartscom

Had the same thing on my 2000, check for ground corrosion at the oxygen sensors terminal. best to have someone run a code output list.Any mechanic with a snap-on unit can do it pretty easily. the second culprit is the gas cap. In my other car, it was a tank of bad gas, or higher then normal ethenol, the gas company slipped in. as gas prices skyrocket, I'm sure we will see all sorts of garbage thrown into the gas. hey guys, there's hope, kia has a hybrid on the horizon.

Reply to
helix

my 2002 spectra, engine check light comes on after a while with low octane gas from a cheap company, immediately clears when I add high octane cheveron.

Reply to
Jim N Alaska