03 Range Rover 4.4 Gas Conversion

Agreed, but what has common sense got to do with this litigious society we live in 8-), I was merely pointing out one person's ownership experience with LPG.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

On or around Wed, 11 Oct 2006 00:19:53 +0100, "Greg" enlightened us thusly:

Lee was referring to quick-fit style places, which I too eschew as they're mostly staffed by monkeys, hardly surprising as I expect they pay peanuts.

If the system is installed properly, the valves are in a sealed box on the tank which is vented to the outside, through the floor. The gas being heavier than air, it will not asphyxiate people in the car under those conditions.

You've have to get a silly amount too much gas in the tank to have this happen - the normal shut-off happens at 80% liquid level. If the shut-off malfunctioned, then the tank could get full to 100%, and as a result if it were subjected to a temperature increase, it could vent gas. However, for a few degrees temperature rise the liquid gas would have to be very near to

100% of the tank of the tank capacity, and that only happens if you've not used any after filling up. I guess it could happen if you live next-door to the garage, but I wouldn't expect it if you'd driven more than about 10 miles.

You are also supposed to use a modicum of common sense - if the tank normally only takes 45l from empty to shut-off, then when it suddenly starts going up to about 50+ litres, you're supposed to think "hang on..." and stop filling it.

If the shut-off on the petrol nozzle failed to act, you'd not keep on pumping petrol once your tank was full, after all.

all these things should be in the instructions and possibly are not...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I think you'll find it liquefies at about 105 p.s.i.

I would have thought if it was factory fitted that he shouldn't have had a problem with warranty or insurance and that he could have got cheap rate V.E.D as well as avoiding congestion charges. Mine (R/Rover) used to work out costing about 9p / mile which was good but I've now gone back to diesel power.

Only problem for me was it switched to gas over 2000 r.p.m automatically and if you just kept your foot down it would backfire in the plenum chamber (e.f.i) and frighten people nearby and occasionally blow a few breather pipes off so I had to stop to push them back on. It wasn't as bad if I gave it a quick rev before moving off. Ended up with a concave disc valve after the air flow meter.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

That's what he was told by the dealer, unfortunately his experience was a little different 8-(

Greg

Reply to
Greg

On or around Wed, 11 Oct 2006 20:58:10 +0100, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

dependant on temperature.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Definitely, Lord Copper", but not that much as it's not like the engine coolant, the temperature of the gas doesn't vary much therefore neither does the pressure. I've heard of splitting hairs but..... :-)

Reply to
Oily

Talking of different experiences:

Nowt wrong with propane. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Wed, 11 Oct 2006 22:22:36 +0100, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

hehe. however, one of the local garages has a pressure gauge on the pump, and it definitely shows more pressure on some days than others.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Naah, that's for blowing tyres up. :-))

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Then I suggest you remove all the brake fluid from your car as that is far more dangerous than LPG, petrol or diesel.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Oily writes

There is no problem with the warranty on a factory fitted Vauxhall - if the OP allows himself to be fobbed off so easily that's his problem.

Similarly there are no significant problems with insurance other than many requiring an installers certificate - not necessarily LPGA approved in many cases.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Oily writes

The ambient temperature in the UK varies from about -10C to about +30C.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Oily writes

Ah you see it is dangerous, it blows up your tyres. What next may I ask?

Reply to
hugh

In message , Greg writes

Overfilling in itself won't cause any running problems. The only danger is that you reach 100% fill and the pressure increases due to increase in temperature e.g. you park in the sun, then the solenoids lock.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Oh yes they do. How many times do you see the muppets filling right up to the last drop - and then drive off dribbling petrol behind them.

Reply to
hugh

Nope.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

In his case overfilling did cause problems, it started venting on the motorway and he had to evacuate the vehicle, as I explained in my post. Greg

Reply to
Greg

In message , Greg writes

You are assuming that the warning light had the function ascribed to it by this particular dealer who has already been shown to be a charlatan.

On the other hand it may just have been the engine check light which had come on to show the emissions were out of spec.

I'm beginning to smell a bit of a troll here.

Reply to
hugh

I'm not assuming anything, nor was John, it wasn't a light it was a message on the disaplay saying "Evacuate vehicle immediately", not a lot of scope for assumption there 8-).

Then I suggest you stop sniffing yourself because you're the only one behaving like a troll here, I simply reported on a colleague's experiences of LPG ownership. You're the one making idiotic suggestions like "remove all the brake fluid from your car" to try and sustain an argument.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

In message , Greg writes

The majority of fires in car accidents are caused by self ignition of brake fluid not by the petrol or LPG. hence if you are concerned about LPG fires you should be even more worried about your brake fluid. Didn't think I would need to spell it out.

Reply to
hugh