101 Servo problem??

On the way to peterborough at the weekend in the GS the brake pedal inexplicably went to the florr (or close to it) about two thirds of the way to the show. I carried on to the show regardless, there was just enough bite to stop you quick enough if you needed to. the pedal would come back up if primed.

When I got to the show I stopped the truck and proceeded to explain to one or two people on the stand what had happened. We looked for leaks and there were none, no missing fluid either. When I tried to demonstrate how far down they had gone they worked perfectly (engine stopped), so put it down to brake fade.

On the return journey, I hadn't even got out of the gate when they went again. It then became apparent that they only went to the deck when the engine is running, so I'm guessing I must haver a fautly servo, although I'm somewhat surprised on two counts. Firstly I was lead to believe it had a new one on it when I bought it, and it does look new, all nice and shiny! Secondly, I wouldn't have thought it would have just gone like that, I would have expected it to be more gradual.

Any ideas, before I start pulling it to bits and spending money?

Thanks in Advance

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

My braking problem on Bob was a rear shoe skipping the cylinder. Couldn't be that on yours could it Graham ?

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Carefully check the rest of the braking system first, this doesn't sound like a servo problem. If the servo goes (usually an internal Bakelite disc) the pedal stays solid but requires enormous effort to stop plus may be accompanied by a hissing noise. Servos are like rocking horse poo but a defender one can be adapted. Same with the master cylinder, Series 3 fits with an adaptor from the club (you are a member aren't you? (or this message will self destruct))

Most likely is a problem at the wheel as Steve suggests. possibly a collapsed snail cam adjuster? Do you get a solid pedal if you pump the brakes?

Sean

73FL74 101GS 1984 110 2.5NA Medway Military Vehicle Group
sean101ryan

On or around 15 Sep 2005 17:31:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com enlightened us thusly:

I was going to say dodgy adjuster. Exactly the symptoms I had on Edward II until I discovered that one of the adjusters goes anti-clockwise to tighten, rather than clockwise.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Shhhhhh!!! Thats the best kept secret in Landroverland.... supposed to learn that the hard way ;o)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Vacuum hoses still ok? Had similar symptoms on the Rangie turned out to be a split hose leaking when the engine rocked into a certain position.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Have a look in the master cylinder reservoir as the brake pedal is pressed, fluid movement or air in the fluid means the primary seals in the master cylinder are leaking. ie brake fluid is passing back over the seal to the reservoir as the pedal is pressed.

Normally a replacement seal kit is enough to repair.

Reply to
Lofty

On or around Fri, 16 Sep 2005 18:45:16 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

hehe.

I'd rather pass it on than have people running around in vehicles where the brakes don't work until the second application of the pedal...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

possibly

Must say, I didn't think it was symptoms of servo, for reasons you describe.

It does go solid if primed. Goody, hubs off again!

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Learnt that one last time I did the brakes up!

Reply to
Graham G

Pass, but I would have thought that would have lead to a solid pedal, as if no servo, rather than pedal hitting the deck??

Reply to
Graham G

I'll check. Did have the lids off but didn't happen to notice.

Reply to
Graham G