110 fuel problems - still

All,

110 Defender CSW 1990 2.5l diesel (just pre 200TDi)

This should be simple - but as ever it aint!

I have a problem that with the fuel cap fitted (it is the correct one I have checked) I get excessive pressure in the fuel tank and the effect of fuel starvation on the engine after a period of running at reasonable speed.

As a first test I removed fuel cap and the fuel starvation problem went away.

I then made my fuel cap "vented" by drilling a hole in it! This is also fine except just after when I have filled up the tank and the diesel spurts out the hole.

It is a Landrover fuel tank. There is a drain plug, a take off to the lift pump, the filler neck and a breather in parallel (although this breather is attached below the fuel cap) so it can't "breathe" with the fuel cap fitted (I assume it's just there for when you are filling with fuel).

Any suggestion as to what is happening? As this is positive pressure it means that a significant amount of either fuel (or air) is being returned to the tank. Is this a symptom of a failing injector pump? I know that I have a leaky injector (as I get a lot of smoke and rough running on idle) could this be a factor?

Can you suggest any fuel injection experts in the Wiltshire area (Trowbridge to be precise)

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
Peter Sheppard

In message , Peter Sheppard writes

Is it a turbo ?

If so it will be a split in the turbo boost diaphragm on the top if the injection pump. This is allowing boost, created by the turbo, to pressurise your fuel tank.

I have seen engines rev out of control with this problem too.

Good luck

Reply to
Marc Draper