110 Defender diesel starvation and now a water leak!

The diesel starvation problem became obvious when I looked under the car. There had been a new tank fitted (or the LR label had lasted well for 15 years under the car!) and the breather pipe was approximately 1" long and terminated with a screw stuck in the end of it, held in place with a jubilee clip!

A proper breather has now been fitted (and one that breathes!)

As I am still learning about this vehicle I should like to trouble you learned souls with another question!

When the car is parked and it rains I get a serious amount of water in the passenger footwell, the drips (or more like a flood!) comes from under the dash. There is obviously a seal that isn't and I would guess it is around the bulkhead area - is there anywhere obvious to look and when I have found the leak, what is the best stuff to seal it with?

Cheers

Peter

I'll soon have a 1993 (K) 3 door 200TDi with 200k on the clock (gearbox replaced at 150k) for sale in the Trowbridge area, offers around £2,300.

Reply to
Peter Sheppard

Assuming there is not a rust hole(s) in the bulkhead the most likely entry points are the ventilator seals, the windscreen bracket or hinge mounting bolts, or the door seal. Other possibilities are the seal between the windscreen frame and the bulkhead, and the windscreen seal itself, and the seal at the top of the windscreen.

Note that although it comes from under the dash, it may have travelled quite a distance to get there, so looking in the immediate area may not be very productive. JD

Reply to
JD

On or around Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:38:06 GMT, Peter Sheppard enlightened us thusly:

Parked uphill or downhill?

Used to get some leaks in my 110. It's pretty much endemic, I reckon. Windscreen seal or vent seals are most likely, but you can get puddles sitting on the front wings and working there way in through the bulkhead, I reckon, if parked facing uphill.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ahem.... there should be two breathers on the tank - one just next to the filler, and the other at the top front on the filler side. The latter one is supposed to be blanked off.

It could be the windscreen seal, but it could also be water draining on to the footwell from practically anywhere on the front!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I had a seriosu water leaking problem in my 110. Wifey was complaining that when it rained her feet were getting wet. I discovered that the water was running down the windscreen channel and behind the heater and had made a nice hole of rust that went straight through the bulkhead.

A bit of dismantling, some 2mm plate and a little fire later (foam on the bulkhead caught fire) it was fixed. liberal coatings of black Waxoyl and I reckon it is good for another 10 years. It is dry also in the footwell as well. So wifey is happy.

All I have to do now is cure the leaking sunroof, not easy.

Yours

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Breather - that's rather worrying!

I have a problem with high pressure in the tank, so I have assumed that it was due to a failed or blocked breather. It gets noticeable after a period of running when I get the effect of fuel starvation. I had assumed that the pressure in the tank (and it seems fairly high when the cap is removed) is preventing the lift pump from operating properly. The fuel cap does not appear to breathe (and it as far as I can tell it is a proper LR cap). I have seen the two breathers, one by the filler pipe (but I haven't traced it) and the one that is blocked off.

With the cap removed (not advisable long term!) everything is happy and normal service is resumed!

Unfortunately both the LR manual and Haynes manual are both silent on this area, so can I have some advice on which pipe should be attached where and which acts as the breather and thus vents to atmosphere?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Hi Peter

I have a copy of the "water ingress manual", the fact that it exists should give some idea of the frequency of the problem! It is a pdf, but in German.

If you want me to email it to you just let me know.

Pieter

Reply to
Pieter Vroom

Can I have a copy at andy"at"preaching.co.uk

Yours

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Yes please, I would like a copy. Thanks. Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

The one by the filler should go to the filler neck just below the filler cap.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd