Dodgy sounding gearbox

Hi,

Just had my ears syringed abd wished I hadn't. The wife mentioned that the Disco was a bit noisy when we went to the dump on Saturday, but with ears full of wax I couldn't hear a thing. This afternoon I had my ears syringed and then drove the Disco 10 miles for a 132K service and thought the bl**dy gearbox was going to drop out.

I'm guessing that it's likely to be recon gearbox job (be a bit too much to expect the gearbox has just got a bit low on oil). Anybody have any other suggestions or likely cost?

Ah a few clues my help:

2000 discovery TD5 132K miles Flywheel, diaphram and thrust bearing changed about 5K ago. It used to be a little bit noisy in 2nd and 4th at about 2500 to 3000 rpm, but now noisy in all gears and I mean a loud sort of rattling noise as if a shaft is spinnning and there is play in the bearings.

Guess this serves me right to think about replacing it, bl**dy Landrover money pits!!!!

Thanks

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Does it do it stationary in gear with the transfer box in neutral?

Does it do it more or less if the clutch is depressed in motion.

I'm thinking Prop shaft UJ's personally but thats just a wild stab in the dark.

Does it still rattle it's ass off in Neutral and in motion?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee D,

It only does it when in motion and I believe above a certain speed (different for each gear), i.e its quiet when you start acelerating and then gets noisy. I believe it goes quiet when you press the clutch, but I'll double check when I pick it up tomorrow.

Regards

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Good news, apparently it was the clutch pipe, mind you the garage charged me £40 to find the problem and fix it.

Regards

Terry

Reply to
Terry