110 LWB defender (f) reg crossmember under passenger seats

Its rotten. I've bought a new one and want to fit it. I can see it unbolts no problems but will it slide out without having to raise the body?

Steve

Reply to
steve

Some fit these by chopping the new on in half, fitting, and welding back together. I'm not saying that's a good idea.......

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

In article , beamendsltd writes

That's how mine was done (by professionals). It's been fine and sailed through its MOTs since.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

ok thanks. The local garage claimed body HAD to be lifted...hehe ! I thought they were honest.

steve

Reply to
steve

For most jobs, there's the official way & the Land Rover Way (tm)

Reply to
John Williamson

I did that this very weekend, about 8 hours in total, much of it spent getting the old one out. I managed to do it outside the house with nothing more than some thin cutting discs and lots of patience and a big hammer. I had to grind most of the bolts off on mine - very few came undone.

Incase anyone asks Google in the future, I did this on a 130. The "Correct" part for the 130 is RRC6287 - that'll set you back 421 quid (ish). The 110 version NRC4171 is 34 (ish). I managed to make the 110 one fit, therefor saving a small fortune by:

- Grinding off the upright lugs and re-painting.

- Drilling lots of holes to match the 130.

I did have to chop it, but, not quite in the middle, more about 2 inches closer to the drivers side, don't ask me why I chose that point to chop it, but it worked, both sides were a nightmare fiddle to get in, but they certainly would not have gone in if I had chopped it exactly down the middle.

It's welded back together now, and the MOT is tomorrow....

Cheers,

Andrew (with some shiny black metal under his 130)

Reply to
Andrew Rawlins

Which it passed with no issues at all!

Cheers,

Andrew (with some shiny black metal under his 130 and an MOT)

Reply to
Andrew Rawlins