110 crossmember

Gents, The cross member on my 94 110 Defender CSW is knackered. I have a new cross member with longitudinal chassi section. Can i remove the internal floor for access or is it a tub off job. Please advise. Many thanks John.

Reply to
john maundrell

Are we talking rearmost X-member here?

If you're really smart with an Arc Welder you can do it without touching the tub at all. You have to jack the back of the tub up a bit to get a couple of inches clearance above the chassis rails, (undoing all the tub body mounts will help) and poke the wedling rod in and seam it. You won't achieve it with MIG, as you won't get the torch head in there. Possibly with gas, but never tried it.

Alternativly I have seen people cut across the floor about 2' back from the rear door (for the rear X-member) and just lift this section out. The problem with removing the floor is it is spot-welded to the arch boxes either side, thus removing the whole floor is a time-consuming task. Removing just part of the floor will result in a gap which you will have to disguise and seal when you replace it.

The easiest way to fit a new x-member is to remove the tub, but obviously this is time-consuming and heavy.

Alex

Reply to
Alex