Back in the fold - Discovery 2 advice needed

Some of you may remember me - I used to rgeularly post on this forum when I was living in Zimbabwe.

Well, after a year back in the old country, I have rejoined the fold, having just purchased a grey Disco2 TD5 auto. Car is in pretty good nick, but there are two problems I know(!?) of, which I'd appreciate advice on.

The right rear passenger lock does not open with the rest of the central locking, though if you open teh door it pops up easily. Is this likely to be a failed actuator? If so, are they easy to fit? Any other possibilities?

Secondly, the hinged panel under the steering wheel does not stay up. I found one of the brackets the turn screws go into loose inside the panel, but the second one is missing. How are these brackets attached?

It really was nice to be back in a Disco after 18 months in a Vectra.

Cheers! Graham Carter Wantage, Oxfordshire

Reply to
Graham Carter

Dead actuator. Which means new door lock mech on disco 2's. £70 ish from a dealer, £30 for a part worn on ebay, £0 for it's a passenger, who cares?

Changing it is remove the frame & glass from the door & swap it. Rear doors have added entertainment of if you drop the little metal link from the door handle to the mech it disappears into a cunning shaped recess in the bottom of the door that you will never get it back out of.

Chris

Reply to
chris

Graham,

Welcome back to the fold as you say! I remember you and your comments bought back recollection of one of your posts about upping sticks and moving back.

How are you finding the weather here in comparison. :-)

Sorry can't help with the problems other than to say always leave one "issue" pending because the Disco won't be happy if you fix all its issue and will try real hard to find another to make sure it keeps you focused on maintanence rather than lifes other luxuries.

Its a Landrover thing! :0)

Lee D

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

There is a hole in the bracket through which some of the plastic that forms the back of the fixed dash panel is passed. This is then heated and squidged to hold the bracket in place...

At least that's how they are in my 04 DII, just been out with torch and inspection mirror as I couldn't feel any screw or rivit heads...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks for the advice - it is a rear door, so if I decide to fix it myself, I'll look out for the link! I pick the car up later this week, so I'll have a good lok at it then.

Cheers! Graham

Reply to
Graham Carter

The weather is relatively easy to get used to. What takes adjusting to is the short winter days and the seasonal differences. As a keen, if poor, golfer I found midwinter golf a bit trying at times! The second winter will be worse - there was a novelty factor this year!

I know just what you mean - Dizzy, my old series 1 always had some small thing that needed doing. I can live with the idosyncrasies for the sheer driving pleasure of a Disco.

Cheers! Graham

Reply to
Graham Carter

Thanks Dave, that's a great help. Sorry to get you out with a torch! It looks like a job for Superglue or grab adhesive then. I had a feeling that would be the case. Shouldn't be too difficult to come up with a repair.

Cheers! Graham

Reply to
Graham Carter