Won't start

I have a 95' Nissan Maxima, and I'm having some troubles starting it. Usually it doesnt start until after several or many attempts. I checked the battery and there's no problem with it, also the relay clicks on when I turn the ignition. Could it possibly be a problem with the starter? Can anyone

help me? Thanks.

William

Reply to
wchu

Maximas are know for starter problems. You need to replace it. (You might be able to fix the one you have if your handy with tools and it is fixable) The EXACT same thing happened to my daughters 96 SE while she was staying with her dad (I am her step-dad) and he did the same thing, first bought a new battery, NO-Joy, bought a starter and it did the trick. HOWEVER DO NOT buy a "parts house" starter, get a factory one from Nissan, yes it is expensive, but not as expensive as replacing it 2 to 5 times (he went through 3 before he got one that works reliably....at least it is still working now...(fingers crossed)) with a parts house starter, and you may go through that many to find a good one, yes they will have a "lifetime" warranty but you or your mechanic will be changing it, (labor!) not to mention the down time..... Good Luck

2Maximas (96 SE (daughters), might as well be mine I bought it and fix it, unless I get lucky and she is at her dads house like with the starter situation! and 97 SE)

Reply to
Bitsbucket

Reply to
Jon Smith

This has been a frequent problem that I have too. And my 95 SE is over 10 years old (purchased May 94). The symptom is you can hear a relay click once when turning the key, but no crank. But I wonder if there are multiple contacts on the ignition switch, because if I jiggle it while I turn it, that usually works.

I have been waiting to see if someone who had this problem figured out what it was and resolved it. But if they did say, I missed it.

I did replace the starter years ago. At that time it seemed like it had a bad winding (loping crank). I replaced it when it apparently stopped on the dead winding and would not crank at all.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Reply to
Jon Smith

Finally, Thanks all to help me. I replaced key switch and it is working fine now.

Reply to
wchu