1999 Discovery LPG

Am thinking about buying 99 Disco V8 auto with LPG.

What sort of mpg can I expect for 70mph motorway cruising ?

Anything I want to be careful about or should I go for the diesel ?

Any advice welcome

Stu

Reply to
Fred Smith

10 to 12 depending on the installation.

Much better at around 55mph though so set off early and save a wad.

Check the mpg on the TD5 before you do - I'd probably still lean towards a LPG installation under the present prices anyway. Check also on availability of LPG on your regular routes - I can be a PITA on day trips if you spend an hour looking for fuel. We just factor it in as part of the trip these days then normally stumble across a supplier. Overlays on navigation systems help but some are just wrong or out of date so not to be relied upon.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Would a manual version make any difference ?

Reply to
Fred Smith

Yes it would be slightly more economical. Perhaphs a coupe of Mpg at 70 I recon.

Reply to
Lee_D

Interestingly we had a RRC with 3.5 on Carbs a few years back which guzzled like the best of them. Steady motorway driving around 60 mph even towing a light 2 berth caravan returned over the 20 mpg region. It's the difference in speed thats the main killer. In our case it was a manual.

Like I say, set of half an hour early and save several hours wages on the same trip if it's a long one.

We now tow with a 3.9 LPG'd auto and large caravan and see around 12mpg on LPG at average of 60 mph.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Good choice. (Biased, it's wot I 'av! 90ltr tank lengthways on left hand side of boot, still allows right rear seat to fold down for long loads, still room for 2 dogs in back as well. Mine's a 5-seater, btw.)

On LPG, I get around 13.5 at that speed. Got 15mpg recently with 2 ton behind me sitting at 50mph on the cruise control for 100+ miles!! Normal local-driving type usage returns between 13 and 14mpg, and I'm not frightened to use the throttle when I want to but drive fairly steadily most of the time.

For heaven's sake make sure the conversion has been done by someone that really understands how the original engine management system works - any fool can pass an exam and install to LPGA COP11, but how well do they really understand the vehicles they are fitting systems to? I had a customer in recently with a DII with problems on gas. Installer had connected the rpm trigger up to the coil, not realising that the Motronic ecu kills spark as well as fuel on the over-run, thus causing the gas system to revert back to petrol every time you lifted off the throttle! It also misfired, he blamed the exhaust catalytic converters which the owner had replaced at over £1k to no avail!! I fitted the correct plugs and leads - sorted! Like I say, being LPGA approved is NO GUARANTEE of a quality conversion. You MUST find someone who understands the vehicle correctly. Disiesel = smelly, horrible, rattly, asthma-promoting particulate emissions, gutless when towing, crap mpg towing, oh and did I say horrible? V8 +LPG = Smooth, powerful, quiet, clean and better equivalent mpg (cost per mile) when towing. Badger.

Reply to
Badger