V8 /LPG figures

Hi

Can anyone tell me what MPG (KmPG ?) to expect from a V8 Defender 90 converted to LPG.

I know its prety poor on a standard V8.

Also how does the performance compare to say a 200 TDI

Thanks Zen

Reply to
Zen

In message , Zen writes

About 80% of what it does on petrol depending on which type of system you use and how well it is set up.

Performance as in power - much better. Performance as in running cost, well my 200Tdi in normal use would do about 30 mpg or better. With a V8 on LPG expect about the equivalent of 22 -26 mpg.

HTH

Reply to
hugh

My 90 V8 used to return about 17mpg on petrol and so does my Discovery V8. When the Disco is on lpg it drops to 15mpg but I pay less than half the price of unleaded per litre for lpg so it equates to around 35mpg costwise on lpg.

Reply to
Exit

SG: Only if you can tell us how you intend to drive it. Typically, a

3.5 oe 3.9 V8 will give similar mpg figures for both petrol and LPG use. In theory you would expect about a 15% increase in consumption when running on gas but having kept accurate records for both in my Discovery I don't see anything like that - maybe 8%.

SG: I get 15/16mpg from my 3.9 V8 Discovery but with LPG only half the price of unleaded the cost per mile - IMHO the more realistic measure of economy - is also half that of petrol. In other words I can travel twice as far on £10 worth of LPG than I can on the same value amount of unleaded so my equivalent mpg is 30/32. This is better than my old

300Tdi ever managed and on a par with my (previous) 200Tdi - all Disco's BTW.

SG: You'll not be unhappy! Not only should the economy of an LPG vehicle rival the 200Tdi but you also get gollops of power and a much more refined driving experience to boot.

HTH Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

My 1983 110 V8 CSW returns a fairly consistant 13 MPG on LPG more-or-less irrespective of where I'm driving, although I don't off-road it (cowers in corner). I'm running standard carbs etc and have luminition ignition and auto timing advance, which gives me about 12 degrees advance on LPG. I suspect a more modern 90 might manage 14-15 MPG, ie the equivalent of

28-30MPG on petrol. IMHO a V8 is more enjoyable to drive than a diesel, has similar running costs and is more environmentally friendly. If its a really new one you might be able to get reduced road tax and exempt congestion charging.

Regards

Neil

Reply to
Neil Cummins

Forgot to mention, my 90 is an auto, so does a bit less.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Neil Cummins writes

Can you get a new enough V8 90? Another consideration is the LPG tank size and location in a 90.

Reply to
hugh

Yes - my 90 was manual, disco is auto.

Reply to
Exit

On or around Wed, 26 Nov 2003 22:19:47 +0000, hugh enlightened us thusly:

110 auto here did about 11-12 mpg on gas, before it was buggered. 's doing about 10 and a bit at the moment I think.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

My V8 90 (auto) does about 17-18 even when driven hard on the road, off road its probably less than 10 tho. My 3.9 Disco (auto) does 10 on the road on petrol and LPG but on a run a I can 13 MPG. Its been checked out a few times and still cant get any better than that. My last Range Rover (3.9) done about 18. Richard

Reply to
Richard

Reply to
Tim pople

We were had the choice of TDi and a V8 when we bought our Disco and the V8 won hands down.

Reply to
Nikki

Thanks all for the advice etc.

The OM has agreed to letting me have my own Defender in 2 years, and I have now decided it has to be a LPG converted V8 and a rag top.

Lets hope a few more filling stations take up LPG.

Zen

Reply to
Zen