Tyre levers.

Where do I get them and what do I get?

Having just had to order a set of tyres that no one on the planet seems to have in stock I'm going to be stuffed abroad. I'll get a pair of inner tubes to limp home but is it worth also getting some tyre levers and a Highlift to break the bead?

Experiences welcome :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Get a proper bead breaker, 2 tyre levers and a rubber mallet. With a bit of practise you should be able to remove and refit a tyre with only one lever and the mallet in about 10 minutes.

for the sort of bead breaker that works well and doesn't take up much space.

Reply to
EMB

Agreed, I use one similar to this

But on hard ground you can drive over the tyre when on its side.

Yes, I use Goodyear ones about 1metre long.

I make do with a club hammer, a large mole wrench is handy in refitting at the early stages, nipped on the rim it stops the tyre slipping off.

OK Gunga Din ;-)

I never manage with one.

Yes that looks interesting, never seen one in the flesh.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

If you want to remain tubeless get a winch strap and some soft soap the strap applied round the tread should give enough of a seal to allow the soap to work while you reinflate. Derek Kato 200TDi D1 and shortly Bert RRC V8 (yay!)

Reply to
Derek

Tyrepliers in the UK:

Dougal

And when that failed I blew it on with a small deflagration but forgot to remove the strap, it broke the strap!

I've actually gone right off tubeless for off road and agricultural stuff after some initial enthusiasm.

I've looked at my levers and in fact they are marked Metco TTL1.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

It'll be 'Melco'

Dougal

They will be Melco, and a copy of the Dunlops.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Thanks for the correction Dougal, that's them and they work on sizes

14 by 34 and down, probably up as well but I haven't tried.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

When I had my previous 90, I was, for a time running on the old steel Range Rover wheels and tubed Michelin XM&S tyres. I was getting flat tyres frequently as a result of nipped tubes when cornering too hard. Nothing for it except to become well practiced in tyre removal with a HiLift and 2 tyre levers. Breaking the bead was fairly easy with rims designed for tubed tyres(no bead groove), but I don't know whether it would be much harder breaking the bead on tubeless(grooved) rims!

I would have thought decent levers could be obtained at any good motor factors. Mine came from a car boot sale and are about 18 inches long by 1.5 inches wide, with one end hooked. If you're fit, it shouldn't be difficult!

Neil

Neil