1st Land Rover & LPG

Many thanks to those of you who have answered my questions over the last few weeks. I have now got my 1st Land Rover of my own - a 1989 V8 110 County SW. Cant wait to get out and use it. The previous owners have converted to LPG and in the process removed the second row of seats to make way for the tank. I need to have the second row put back so where best to put the lpg tank! I dont mind buying another tank if this one is the wrong shape size etc. Have considered installing different petrol tank and putting the lpg tank where petrol tank currently is. Ground clearance is important for my intened use. So to get to the point, what are the favourite locations for the lpg tank?

Gerald

Reply to
Idris

Gerald

I have a 1983 110 V8 County, converted to LPG. I have a 120 litre cylinder tank mounted fore and aft on the nearside in place of one of the sideways bench seats. Does n't affect handling, and as I don't carry 12 people I haven't really missed the space. The tank fits in quite neatly and comes just higher than the bottom of the sliding windows on the nearside.

Hope this helps

Regards

Neil

Reply to
Neil Cummins

Thanks, thats usefull as I dont have any intention of using the rear seats either. Did you have to box it in? Are there any issues with having the gas inside the vehicle?

Gerald

Reply to
Idris

Fitting the tank inside where I have it is relatively cheap and easy, with few drawbacks if you are planning not to use the side seat.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Cummins

On or around Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:41:09 +0100, "Idris" enlightened us thusly:

removing the petrol tank and substituting an 80 litre tank is the best option if you can afford it. There's ample space in the inner wing outboard of the chassis for a reasonable size reserve petrol tank, which you may be able to buy or may need to have fabricated: there's room enough for a 12" cube without losing ground clearance - I did in fact make one once, but never got around to fitting it. say 30 cm cube, that's 30x30x30 cm³ which is about 27 litres, or about 6 gallons. You might be able to make it a bit bigger still. If you remove the existing filler spout, you can weld that into the top of the tank and line it up with the fitting on the body, then fabricate brackets off the chassis to support the tank in the desired place.

If all that sounds like too much work... I've seen tanks in a SWB mounted along one wheelbox, thus leaving your rear floor free. There's a minor issue about centre of gravity, but it's only going to be a problem on extreme side slopes with the tank full.

You can mount tanks outboard of the chassis rails in between the suspension mounts/outriggers, but you will lose some ground clearance by doing that.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Where does the normal fuel tank fit on a 90?

Gerald

Reply to
Idris

On or around Tue, 25 Oct 2005 21:03:13 +0100, "Idris" enlightened us thusly:

erm... bloody good question. Must be under the driver's seat in the traditional LR position, I think. 90s have very few options for under-floor LPG.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Idris writes

The valves must be enclosed in a gas tight box (Supplied with the tank). The feed pipes from the filler and to the engine should then be enclosed in an outer pipe (corrugated plastic tubing) from the gas box until they exit the vehicle body. Bear in mind that propane is heavier than air, so the quicker you go down the better.

All this is to ensure that if you have a leak any gas will be vented out of the vehicle otherwise it would collect on the floor and either eventually suffocate you or go off with a rather large bang.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Another option is to mount an 80 litre cylindrical tank immediately behind the rear seats where it will fit between the wheel boxes.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Early ones yes, later ones underneath body at rear, above/behind rear axle. I have twin under body on my 90 (77 litres), but they do come down just below the chassis line, but I would loose my exhaust, and bottom of gearbox before the tanks. Petrol tank is as described above.

Reply to
hugh