LPG and Carbs - Land Rover

Hi

I have a 1983 Land Rover 110 V8 CSW, which I predominantly run on LPG - in fact I hardly ever use petrol. Yesterday I had to switch to petrol for the first time in probably 6 months or more and soon started to smell petrol. On investigation I found petrol slowly dripping from the bottom of one carb and quickly dripping from the other - in fact I had a small (but growing) pool accumulating in the manifold webs. I knew there was an LPG garage about 10 miles further on, so I ended up driving about 3 miles, mopping up the fuel, driving on etc, until I could refill with gas.

I suspect that the seals in the carbs had dried out and shrunk, thus allowing the leakage (flood), and guess it might have been a good idea to run on petrol a bit more regularly - I don't know if anyone else has had the same problem?

Turning to the immediate problem, how difficult is it to replace the seals in an LR carb? At first sight I think I might have to remove the carbs from the manifold and it might turn into quite a big job - your advice much appreciated.

Regards

Neil

Reply to
Neil Cummins

Neil Cummins uttered summat worrerz funny about:

O rings may have perished, they all do that, What carbs have you got?

Also the needles will also wear quickly unless you have lifters fitted although I'm not aware that this causes a leak such as yours.

I have the carbs on my 101 proffesionally rebuilt and have to say it was worth evey penny after many hours tinkering previously.

Also before you attempt to remove the carbs you may find it worth while cutting a 13mm spanner in half to allow better access, certainly helps on the 101 v8's.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Very common I'm afraid, mainly the float needle jets not seating correctly to form a seal, due to dust and dirt etc that seems to accumulate in carbs when they are "dry" for long periods of time.

Yep, remove carbs and fully strip and clean. procedure is identical for both SU and Stromberg carbs, reset the float heights accurately (Haynes book of lies shows how to do this) after a thorough cleaning out. No idle, auxiliary, secondary or emulsion jets to worry about when cleaning, just one metering jet and a tapered metering needle controls the fuelling, and of course the fuel inlet (float) needle jet.

Won't cause the leak, but severe needle and jet wear will be visible, more than likely.

Almost an essential item when removing/fitting carbs on a v8! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Suspect it might be the floats are stuck and nothing to do with seals, come to that what seals?

Reply to
GbH

I was told to beware of the floats banging up and down when their bowls are empty because they might hole themselves, it's not a problem I have suffered yet and I think Neil and I converted at about the same time.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Thanks all - I'll let you know what the result is.

Regards

Neil

Reply to
Neil Cummins