2000 Discovery II - 4.0 V8 - Overheating

My friend owns a 2000 Discovery II - 4.0 V8 in the U.S.A.

He swears that this vehicle has two thermostats, one mounted in line with the return and lower radiator hoses, and one somewhere directly mounted in the engine block.

Service manual only mentions the one in the hoses.

Does anyone know of this second thermostat?

Thanks for any and all help.

AS

Reply to
AS

In message , AS writes

I had a 4.0 litre V8 Defender (1998) the thermostat was in a housing at the end of the top radiator hose.

Reply to
hugh

Try this link..

Pannawonica ..

Reply to
Pannawonica

Acc. to Microcat it looks like there is one thermostat, as said, in-line with the bottom rad hoses and there is another if it's an R380 manual gearbox ...

If you post the VIN No I can check definitively ..

The following is a picture of the relevant details ..

Hope it helps.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Thanks for all the feedback, I will get the VIN No.

Thanks All, Thanks Paul.

AS

Paul - xxx wrote:

Reply to
AS

Hi Paul:

The VIN number for the Disco VIN is SALTY124XYA233232.

My mistake: The engine is the 4.6 lt, sorry.

Thanks for your help,

AS

Paul - xxx wrote:

Reply to
AS

Acc. to microcat the auto of any engine doesn't have a gearbox mounted thermostat, it's only on the R380 Manual gearbox and only on the 4.0 l.

It doesn't say anything about, and may not apply to US versions, mind.

Hope it helps.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Paul,

Thanks a bunch.

Your information confirms my suspicion. By the manner the cooling system is intended to work, if it were another thermostat somewhere else in the engine, the cooling system would be impaired.

Now I will have to have my friend point to me, the location where his "mechanic" has the second thermostat.

In any case, it is already too late for my him. The engine is spewing water from the tail pipe, and it is not condensation. :(

Thanks all.

AS

Paul - xxx wrote:

Reply to
AS

Google 'cracked block or slipped liners'

Hope it isnt....

Reply to
Nige

And bend over and assume the position if it is.

Reply to
EMB

LOLOLOL... My friend is going to enjoy this recommendation, ;)

EMB wrote:

Reply to
AS