2002MY

All,

Sorry about the stupid question, but... What is a 2002MY? How do I know if mine is one (or what mine is)? Is 2002 the year?

Cheers,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

Its a marketing thing to identify updated models in order to boost sales its quite possible to have a 2001 built car which is a 2002 model if you would like to check your car there is VIN plate information at

at
' to work out what model year it is I suspectyou would have to delve deeper to check equipmentlevels fitted for whatever model Land Rover youown.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) provides the model year.

The VIN is the SALL..... number which you'll find on your documentation, at the lower left side of the windscreeen viewed from outside or on the plate that you see in front of you when you raise the bonnet.

The tenth character defines the model year: SALL.....WAnnnnnn 1998 SALL.....XAnnnnnn 1999 SALL.....YAnnnnnn 2000 SALL.....1Annnnnn 2001 SALL.....2Annnnnn 2002 will have a '2' before the 'A' SALL.....3Annnnnn 2003

Reply to
Dougal

Obvious when you're told but MY is "model year", so yes 2002 MY is the year that model was made. See other posts about how to get extra details, but searching for VIN decoding will help.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

The "model year" bit was what I was missing. I noticed that some parts places sell by VIN, others by MY... I knew about VIN, but wasn't sure what the MY was.

Thanks.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

No prob, although when ordering parts it's always best to go on VIN ranges as the "model year" is rather imprecise. Most of the time I've used VIN or MY on other vehicles it's been OK in the context, usually something would be referred to as e.g. a 2002MY even if it was made in

2003, then if in 2004 a major update is made then post-update machines get described as a 2004MY, but the practice seems to vary, VIN ranges are much more logical.
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

As someone mentioned earlier, model years are a marketing thing rather than an explicit statement of the actual calendar year of manufacture. There is a tendency, however, for there to be a connection in that for example a 2002 model year vehicle will meet any regulations which are in effect after 1 Jan 2002 even though it may have actually been built in the latter months of 2001.

The model year defined in the VIN number is what manufacturers (specifically including Land Rover) recognise for the purposes of parts etc. which, I suppose, is the only thing that need bother us.

Reply to
Dougal