2003 Vogue Td6 - Air Susp Probs?

Bear in mind that most of the engineering on the new Range Rover was done by BMW :o)

I personally think it's the dealers who make the greatest difference to the perception of manufacturers. There MUST be problems with BMW X5s (I know there are with the BMW 5 Series), but you never hear about them, presumably because the dealers are better behaved..

Just a thought!

Martin

--

1988 90 Td5 NAS Replica
Martin Lewis

Good point. It had crossed my mind during test drive that the underlying mechanics and electrics on the X5 are *exactly* the same as the RaRo, but you tend to lose faith in cars when the PERSISTENTLY go wrong especially when you have spent a large chunk of hard earned readies on them. Now where is the nearest MERCEDES dealer ;o)

Reply to
Foxhunter

Problems do occur with the X5. An acquaintance bought one to replace his Disco (he wanted more reliability). The auto box failed completely after less than 6 months. Thankfully it happened at this point, as without warranty it would have cost him £4500.

Reply to
Phil Gardiner

They most definately are *not*, the X5 platform was rejected out of hand for range Range Rover, and any BMW executives who had any doubts had them removed after a weekends off-roading in Germany. The X5 does not come anywhere near RR off-road.

The Advanced Technology center at Warwick Uni was lent an M Class, on condition it was not taken round the Jungle Track - which of course it was- well the first bit anyway!

If your really fed up with LR, buy a Shogun (ye gods, did I just say that!)

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

you.................. At

Not a single problem in my X5 yet. It has only done 12000 miles and hasn't had its first service yet though. ;-) Like Dave I had my share of problems with LR and was foolish in my youth to believe that 'they have fixed all that now'. I had a number of them simultaneously and I used to pull my hair out in great tufts until I went Japanese and [lately] German/American. My Toyota Land Cruiser Amazon has 60000 miles up and has only had one rear side light bulb blow so far. Mind you, my '84 LR110 has been going well in recent years and the Isuzu Trooper has had a succession of small but niggling problems. Just remembered that one wiper linkage decided to let go early on in the X5's life. Sorted it myself in five minutes by removing the cover via twist clips and popping the socket *back* on the ball, if ever it had sat properly. No doubt they are not all this good, certainly I have heard the early ones weren't. Heard the same about the ML270 but apart from an ill fitting rear bumper and swelling fuel filler rubber pads, nothing went wrong with that one either. Had I been able to afford it, I would have kept that one and traded the Isuzu for the BMW.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

"Foxhunter" wrote > >

underlying

RaRo, but

especially

They are not similar other than they use the same engine and automatic gearbox. Nothing much else is even nearly similar apart from components bought near-off-the-shelf from suppliers such as Bosch.

[...]

God help you.... We recently bought our first and quite likely last Mercedes. Nothing wrong with the car, but the dealer is far too busy telling you how lucky you are to be in a Mercedes to actually do anything useful. Ssuch as, for example, tell you that the car you drove isn't the spec in the brochure for that model, or that you cannot fit your enormously expensive travel system because of the proprietary airbag system.

The good thing is that if you stand your ground and say 'you are going to put it right though aren't you, being a MERCEDES dealer?' they cave in and say yes.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Weel, i am not 100% sure what to do as yet. I LIKE Landrovers, it is just that after spending so much on one, it is a bit disenheartening when you get all these things go wrong with it. And a dealer who, althought they try (allegedly) to be helpful, basicll don't give a toss. Every time my RaRo has been in hospital, all they have manged to loan me is a bloody Freebie. I bought a new RaRo 'cos that is what i wanted to drive. SWMBO has a Freebie, if i wanted to spend 60 odd days driving one of them instaed of my own RR, i would have bought TWO. I will calm down after a nights sleep, and a good few glasses of Boddingtons no doubt. I do not want to get rid of RR, I love it. Just the reliability issue. I had an old 110 V8 until a year & 1/2 ago. had done about 380k. Just plodded on. everyday. without so much as a hiccup. NOTHING ever went wrong - until its FINAL days on thsi mortal coil, offroading at Tixover. Laughing about *antifreeze* in the water and on the mud, only to find out half way home..................... IT WAS MINE :-( bloody pipe had burst behind water pump wher it feeds near valley gasket. Should have replaced temeperature gauge SOONER... Now sits lonely in a shed waiting for the day to come that i have time to reapir it ? Dave Ps. sorry for waffling on.and on.

Reply to
Foxhunter

That's very annoying isn't it. I get the same with the Volvo - swap my nice V70 for a knackered S40 each time it goes in. Eventually I bitched to the MD of the dealer and next time I got another V70.

If you want, I'll do you a swap for my P38, which is currently working. FWIW, Duckworth's did OK with mine, although mine being in the workshop is probably why yours isn't :(

David.

Reply to
David French

The first time I had my XJR serviced the loaner was a five-year old XJ6. The second time it was a Chrysler Neon! It felt rather good when a Transit reversed into it.

BMW have the right idea. When my colleague has his 3 Series serviced they give him a 5 Series. It's called sales and marketing...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

When Charlotte needed a courtesy car from Gordon Lamb in Chesterfield they gave her a spanking new Freelander with only 300 miles on the clock. A friend took his SLK into the local Merc Main Dealer for some work and they gave him a Smart Car... :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Brent?

I rang the Merc dealer last week (Sheffield) to arrange a service. I was politely asked to ring back later, because it was lunchtime and they were all a bit busy. Still, we have a Mercedes and so we count our blessings every day...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Just remembered. I notice RPI are flogging 4.6 water pumps at half-price - don't know if you are still planning one for Grumble?

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Yup :-)

Closed for lunch - how quaint. Now very German, though :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

May I suggest you leave Mercedes alone with their SUV and take a closer look at the VW Touareg, especially the V10?

This car will run rings around the new RaRo (313 bhp, 750 Nm of torque at

2000 rpm, 1-100 Km/h in 7.8 seconds and 225 Km/h top speed electronical controled), costs 2/3 of the price of a new RaRo and is extremely capable off and on the road while being very economic on its fuel bills also.

And if better on road performance is something you want it can be easily chipped to 373 bhp and 855 Nm of torque thus resulting to 6.9 seconds for

0 - 100 Km/h and in excess of 255 Km/h top speed while still retaining its off road capabilities (58 cm deep water wading standard factory limit, compared to 50 cm for the LR products, 30 cm ground clearance (can be further increased by tweaking the air suspension settings), 32 degrees of attack and retreat angles (RaRo is a bit better here I think), 35 degrees side slops tilting (was tested up to 45 degrees though) and the list goes on.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

When the local "dealer" here was spending so much time wrecking the old 3.9 in Piglet, I had to go to to Soadbury, so I rang them and asked for a loan vehicle (as mine was currently in bits on their forecourt with no manifolds and front suspension hanging off). They claimed to only have nothing.

I got a lift down there and demanded to see someone. Eventually I was attended to, and explained quite clearly I had to transport a 90 axle from Sodbury to Manchester. All they had was a Freelander that they were quickly prepping for me. Fine.

Get the keys, walk out. Black. Very Black. Freelander. My mate with me wants one, and is instantly in love! I get in, fire it up to discover it has 52 miles on the clock.

After 1 week I returned it with 2000 miles on the clock. It had transported the axle (in the boot), 2 sets of skis + luggage + people and been offroaded :)

That was fun, but the expensive sounding noises from the underside while offorading were interesting, and the side steps were not up to much.....

I had loads of courtesy vehicles from them, but *never* a Discovery or RR. Plenty of van 90's and Freelanders.....

Neil

Neil Brownlee

The GEMS units aren't a lot of good for a 101 with the existing 101 style timing cover, but the RPI ones are good value at 85 quid. I called, spoke to Holly and ordered a standard (new) 101 water pump - for 50 quid :-)

If this doesn't work, I'll be bending the needle in the guage ;-)

I'm of the mind that it's still running lean - which won't help.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Maybe we should *all* ring that dealer, and book our non-existent Mercs in for a major service. That way maybe they'd suddenly find they had a little more time on their hands.

David.

Reply to
David French