200Tdi Defender - Head Gasket gone...

Hi All,

I checked my timing on Friday and all was OK, so left alone.

Some time ago now Richard was willing to bet "a cup of tea" that my head gasket would be failing around cylinder No. 4.

On Saturday it went about 20miles from anywhere.... Lots of oil vapour pouring through the breather into the turbo and still enough compression in the rocker box to lift the oil filler clear of the hole... By the time I got to a road 99% of the oil had been dumped or burnt. I got towed home from the road.

I set about removing the head last night...

Big hole in gasket between the cylinder nearest the bulkhead and the pushrod hole nearest the bulkhead...

After 150,000miles honeing marks are still visible in the middle 2 cylinders (never turned the engine over to check the other two). Top of pistons look OK.

I am sure the head has been off before (previous owner). Firstly, bolts where not all torqued down to the same amount and secondly, silicon present between block and gasket.

I dont know yet how much oil is left in the sump (never got to it last night). I do know bugger all shows on the dipstick.

Questions:

  1. Can or should the head be skimmed? I have read previously conflicting opinionson this. The gasket that came off had 3 holes in it, indicating the thickest one.
  2. Should gasket sealer be used when I put the new gasket on? I always thought they should be put on dry. The reason I ask is becacuse when I removed the current one there was some silicon blocking a few small holes in the block (approx 3mm or 4mm diameter between the pushrod holes in the gasket. This sounds bad to me and is perhaps a reason why my temperature was always on the higher side of normal. I have photos of the holes in question if clarification is needed.
  3. What is the opinion on gaskets? Use genuine LR ones?
  4. After 150,000 miles, and Saturdays limp to a road, what sort of condition are my big-end bearings likely to be in? Is it worth dropping the sump off and removing the underside shell of a couple of con-rods to inspect? I figure this may be easier than lifting out the engine if bottom end is still OK!?!?

Any thoughts guys? Jon

Reply to
Jon

UGLY.

The gasket thickness is determined by the block, con rods and pistons, not by the head.

The head can be skimmed if its needed, but too much will be a problem - get a good engine shop to see if the thing is warped first. How are the valves ?

I'd say dry, and torqued up properly.

I haven't.

Why not, you're already deep in the doo-doo, dropping the sump and ladder frame isn't too hard, but make sure the sealing surfaces are spotless before you reseal everything, and remember the pistons only go in one way round.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I'd get a place to give it the lightest skim they can - if nothing else it proves everthing is ok.

Definately not. If the gasket won't seal the reason needs to found, anything else is just putting off the ineviatble. The three holes sound like the thickness indicators - they don't do anything else.

Elring are fine - I think they are OEM for LR anyway.

Worth a look - but usually no harm is done, 200Tdi's are pretty good at running with bugger-all oil.

It might be an idea just to check for play in the valve guides at that sort of milage - again it's most likely to be absolutely fine, but no harm in looking. Changing the guide seals while the lid is off is a good idea.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Richard, Once again, many thanks. I'll keep all posted on progress.

Jon

As I thought...

Thanks.

Thats a relief. Given there was only the slightest rattle for a short while I'll leave it alone I think.

Will do.

Reply to
Jon

As above, also maybe wise to put a straight edge across the block as well. Leo

Reply to
Leonard

Thoughts generally seem to be leave the bottom end alone, fill back with oil and see what happens! Oil pressure light never came on so there must be enough oil left in the sump to keep lubricated??

I am a little concerned about which head gasket to order - the three hole one came off (ERR5263 ?), should I just order another 3 hole one or measure piston protrusion and get a 2 hole on (ERR5262 ?) if within tolerance, as per Mr Haynes??

That said, does the 0.1mm difference in thickness actually make any difference? Should I save myself the hassle and go with a 3 hole gasket? Measuring piston protrusion will not be too easy as i have no gauge with which to measure!

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

It can, although some will say you shouldn't. I wouldn't take more than 10 thou off of one in total.

Fit gasket dry, or with a very thin smear of Hylomar around the water jackets only. Do not use silicon!!

Yes.

Wouldn't hurt to check, would it?

Also, even though the book says no need, if the head bolts have been re-used maybe a couple of times then I'd replace the bolts just to be safe. Even though they aren't stretch bolts, you never know if anyone has overtorqued them beyond the elastic limits. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

"Badger" wrote in news:dda709$92n$ snipped-for-privacy@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com:

I was waiting for someone to say that. My local diesel "expert" put three new head gaskets onto one of my Peugeot 504's before I learnt sense and went to the local dealer. (Each new gasket blew!).

The first thing the dealers did was to replace the bolts. Soon after, Peugeot only supplied new head gaskets with a set of new bolts as standard. What do they cost against peace of mind? A few quid well spent.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Get it checked by someone reputable and take their advice.

No sealer there ever.

See Richard's reply.

I'd replace them as a matter of course at that milage after checking the crank itself of course., and while the pistons are out I'd fit new rings at the same time

Niamh.

Reply to
Niamh Holding

Measure it and fit the right one, FWIW we generally find that 1 hole is actually the right one.

Reply to
Niamh Holding

On or around Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:52 +0100 (BST), snipped-for-privacy@4x4cymru.trapping.co.uk (Niamh Holding) enlightened us thusly:

either that or fit the fattest one - I presume, you lose a touch of compression and maybe a couple of BHP. Depends whether you have suitable equipment accurately to measure the piston protrusion.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

All,

Firstly, sorry for the attachement. But dont shoot me down, I have no access to web space etc.

Anyway, head removed and gasket had a big hole in it.

Replaced (thanks Richard) and now all is running well again (temp still reading high but I am sure that MUST now be the gauge).

Attached is a photo of the offending gasket. Out of interest is this typical of where you would expect them to go? And, is the size of the hole fairly typical? I was expecting a small crack, not a casm!

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Jon

Jon, as you have no doubt found out, it isn't the done thing to post photos!! Martyn is obviously a little stressed at the time of posting, I'd suggest. Your gasket is fairly typical, the missing portion's size being due to the considerably higher combustion pressures encountered within a disiesel engine than a petrol, but it is also extremely common to see them blown out of the rear face to the outside world. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Thank you for the informed reply. This is more in line with what I have come to expect from this other-wise friendly group. Thanks. Jon

Reply to
Jon

My "problem", quite apart from you being a top posting f****it, is that even given that you knew it is not acceptable to post binaries to a non binary group, did it anyway.

I'm generally getting a little lenient in my old age and will make space for those new to usenet (which you evidently are not), will generally let top posting go, and adverts, and snipwhitterage, but I do draw the line at letting such concentrated fuckwittery pass without comment.

http://www.f****it.info

Reply to
Mother

Jon came up with the following;:

Liar, anyone with access to the internet has access to a multitude of free photo hosting sites.

If you had simply hosted the photo somewhere and posted a link, then the flames would have nothing to start them with.

I'd also say that as this is a fairly knowledgable group, many people use servers and/or readers that simply ignore photo's and hence, like mine, cannot see them. This somewhat limits the usefulness of posting a photo to what is essentially a text medium.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

The day is young, here :-)

Reply to
Mother

A Liar I most certainly are not. However, I accept your comments re free services with your ISP. That said, when my only access point is from my office at work, my options become far more limited.

I will however go and make friends with our IT department in the hope of being able to get them to post a photo once in a blue moon for me as and when the need arises.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Jon came up with the following;:

OK, poor choice of words on my part ...

"Page 1 of 11,365,374 results containing photo hosting "

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Ah, that's a good one, havn't laughed like that for a while.

Alex

Reply to
Alex