3.9 cold starting update

You may recall this one. It's still not running smoothly from cold. The other day I had a pressure gauge on the injector rail: pressure is rock-steady when running at 2.5 bar, drops about 0.1 bar with engine stopped, and then took 10 minutes or so to go down to 2.35 bar (if I've remembered the figures right).

So I think the fuel pressure is OK. Next thing I guess will be to either clean or replace the injectors. It's up for MOT soon - a while ago we had it on the analyser and it wouldn't have passed. Maybe with a bit of exercise it'll have got better.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Injectors are dribbling like a puffs arse.

Reply to
Nige

Couldn't have explained it any more graphically myself, cheers Nige! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:13:04 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

How long should the fuel rail maintain pressure, then, with the pump off? It loses pressure after standing for days, but then I'd be amazed if it didn't. Short term, like 10 minutes or so, it lost so little that you could only just see it on the gauge. Didn't seem to me that such a small fuel leakage would cause that much grief, but maybe it does.

I guess the next thing is pull the injectors and try them in the ultrasonic cleaner. Unless they're not to pricey, in which case I might just replace them.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If it loses any more than 4 or 5 psi over a week, there's a problem!

If you could see it on the gauge in that short a time, that's wrong.

yep, think how little is pumped in with a 2 or 3 millisecond pulse then think how much pressurised fuel is in the line from the tank pump to the fuel rail and then consider that the pressure regulator is a sprung-loaded chamber, that's a lot of fuel volume compared to what can be injected........

Try cleaning them first, then connect them to an airline at 46psi and see if they leak by immersing them in petrol or parrafin whilst pressurised.

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:24:15 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

I'll investigate prices, too - doesn't seem too bad a job to remove them, but it's more than 5 minutes' worth.

having said that, it passed the MOT, so can't be that far off. Or the garage's machine is lenient, but that's getting increasingly uncommon these days.

Reply to
Austin Shackles