300 tdi

I seem to have acquired a budgie under my bonnet my last fan belt only lasted 3 months ,new alt fitted weeks ago ive wire brushed all pulleys bearings in all pulleys are ok last thing to try is a louder radio

wood be greatfull for any points please

rick

Reply to
richard healey

Don't think diesels need 'em!!! ;~)

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 Landrover 88" (Albert)

"No, I'm Brian"

Reply to
Nige

On or around Thu, 03 Mar 2005 20:09:22 GMT, "richard healey" enlightened us thusly:

is the tensioner bearing shagged?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

no play in it and spins freely with no noise

0123456789112345678921234567893123456789412345678951234567896123456789712345
Reply to
richard healey

Genuine landrover uprated belt to combat the noise problem. (made by gates)

PQS000030 upto TA chassis prefix

PQS000040 from TA chassis prefix.

Cheap belts don't work.

Hope this helps

-- Marc

FOR SALE : DISCOVERY II (02) SERENGETTI 7SEAT 39,000 MILES FSH DISCOVERY II (51) GS7, ACE, SLS, CLIMATE,67,000 MILES B.F.G AT'S DISCOVERY TDI R REG EPSOM GREEN, 7SEATS, AC, AW. DISCOVERY TDI M REG VAN 100,000 MILES.

Reply to
Marc Draper

"richard healey" wrote in news:S9KVd.243$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net:

This one has been flogged to death. Do a google.

I phoned a belt maufacturer and asked for their technical department.

The nice techie man said it was a vibration issue, similar to chalk on blackboard, wet finger on glass, squealing brakes, bow on violin strings, etc. Sounds logical to me -- sound is vibrations.

So lots of the suggested cures will work, including replacing the engine with a new one. A cheaper way to go is to remove the glaze on the tensioner and possibly the belt -- assuming that's the cause of the problem.

One way to check is to chuck some water on the belt. If the noise goes away, that's what it is. (The noise will come back after a few minutes when the belt surface dries). If it doesn't, consult the bank manager and try the alternatives. Personally, I have now gone tone deaf and no longer notice the squeaks!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Marc Draper composed the following;:

I'd also agree with that. Since only fitting 'proper' belts, my squeak now doesn't need the graphite lock grease flakes I used to put on.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

That's what I used to use on mine. I put quite a lot on over a period of time. Now it only occasionally squeaks, mainly on damp mornings and only for a minute or two. Maybe it built up a lubricating layer or something.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Been there, Rick !

Try a finger smeared with "pure silicone" ( Toshiba is one manufacturer.) It's used in plastics extrusion as a 'release' from the moulds, as well as a constituent of many, many superficial skin 'rub-ons' ... from cosmetics through sunscreens. .....It's transparent, about the consistency of honey, inert and won't wash off under _any_ circumstances..... And it WORKS for _many_ months on the TDi300 'squeaky belt' mind destroyer.

I've written similar on several occasions in the past!!!..... I wonder if _anyone_ has ever tried it ! Never had a response!! Oh, well !!! :)))

Best wishes,

.... frodo.

Reply to
frodo

When my budgie started singing I only managed to shut it up by replacing the belt tensioner. The mechanic at the local dealership illustrated the problem quite effectively by squirting a liberal dose of PTFE spray onto the hub of the tensioner whilst it was running and the budgie stopped singing temporarily - give it a try to see if the same thing happens for you.

Best of luck

Reply to
larry90

On or around Sun, 27 Mar 2005 18:24:15 +0100, "larry90" enlightened us thusly:

In theory you can solve it by replacing the bearing in the tensioner, presuming the rest of it's ok. In practice, replacing the whole thing's easier.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Have you had the modified pattern fitted? - Because that cures the squel permanantly....

Reply to
Larry Shaw