300 Tdi Where is the oil coming from?

Hi,

I have a 1998 Discovery 1 300 tdi, which runs perfectly. The only problem I have is there seems to be oil leaking out of the top of the engine somewhere at the front near the exhaust manifold. It is not coming from the rocker cover, but somewhere slightly lower than that. There is a light oil film running all he way down that side of the engine. Has anyone experienced this? Is it likely to be coming out of the cylinder head gasket? If so, should I be concerned about it?

Thanks Robert

Reply to
Robert

Hi Robert, sounds to me like you have a torn or ripped inlet manifold gasket.

You need to replace the inlet/exhaust manifold gasket which comes as a single gasket.

The problem you have is caused by thermal expansion / contraction of the gasket and with the inlet bordered on both sides by exhaust ports. Over time this causes the inlet part of the gasket to get torn or split.

When replacing the gasket. I cut off the left and right exhaust parts with a thin angle grinder. My new gasket now is in 3 parts .When I put them on I now have a heat expansion joint between the exhaust ports (left and right side) and the inlet port.

The above stops the new gasket splitting in the future.

Cheers

Phillip Simpson

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

Cheers Phillip, thanks for the info. At least that sounds like an easier fix than pulling the whole head off.

Robert

Phillip Simps> Hi Robert,

Reply to
Robert

Hi Robert, its a dead easy job.

One other thing you may like to do is port match the inlet manifold to the head, before fitting the new gasket. You will find that there is a lot of waste space in the manifold and getting rid of it with a grinder makes for much better "breathing" at mid to high rpms.

Cheers

Phillip

Reply to
Phillip Simpson