300TDi Disco Beeping

Hi Another question re the above disco. A 96 S spec auto. Ocassionally when I am driving I hear a beeping sound. If I switch off the radio it stops instantly. The car is fitted with a nokia hands free kit.

I am quite prepare to ignore the noise, however I would just like to be assured that it is not warning of some imminant and expensive blowup.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

fanie posted:

All mobiles are constantly (simplistic description) giving out signals. I've found that many make speakers 'beep' with a sort of warbling type of beep every so often. It's nothing to worry about, I also get it on the childrens computer systems when their mobiles are in the room.

I'dguess decent filtering would cure it on the speakers but can't be bothered really .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.mweb.co.za, fanie blithered:

Might be the radio (if RDS) searching for the station you thought you were listening to that has just gone out of range.

Reply to
GbH

Its not speed related is it?

For some reason the 'excess speed warning' is enabled on mine, results in a bleeping when the speedo registers about 75mph - not heard it for a very long time tho :-)

Oh and it seems to be strongest around the head-rest position on the passenger seat - usually accompanied with "you're driving too fast" from swmbo!!

Chris Drop the trousers to email me :-)

Reply to
Chris Ward

If the noise is rhythmic, like a "hunting" rhythm (dum derum, dum derum etc), then I get it frequently if I keep the mobile in the dash slot above the radio. Moving the mob a foot or so away from the radio stops it. Is your hands-free kit next to the radio?

It happens every few miles on certain journeys. I am no expert, but my guess is that it occurs when you move into a different mobile "cell" and the mob is searching for a new transmitter to lock onto. It sends out a stronger signal and this is picked up by the radio receiver and broadcast through your speakers. In which case, filtering the speakers wouldn't make any difference. Strangely, it is the proximity of the mob to the radio itself, not the aerial, which seems to cause it.

A proper expert will be along shortly.

Reply to
Richard Brookman