300Tdi discos.

I've just fitted the infamous timing belt kit to a P reg 300Tdi disco at the garage where I work part time . the key had sheared on the timing belt pulley on the crank but amazingly it was still running - all be it very badly and making a hell of a noise!! Thankfully the key way in the crank was fine so a new key and the kit sorted it out.

Any way, I took it for a test drive before the owner picked it up to check it was running ok and not suffering from bent valves or any other nasty surprises. and was truly shocked to feel how well it accelerated! It was a 5 door model, 168k miles on the clock and had the electronic fuel pump control but it would have left our 3 door model, 165k miles, for dead! It pulled well from 1500RPM with a good surge from 1800RPM up. Our 300Tdi doesn't really do anything until 2000RPM and even then couldn't be described as "pulling well".

Is our engine just showing its age or do the engines with the elastic trickery pumps make more power and torque? I've been meaning to stick a boost gauge on ours for ages to see what the turbo is doing but just have never got around to it. How does this sound in comparison to other peoples experiences??

Thanks! Toby

Reply to
TVS

See my Thread Power of 300Tdi Below. Regsards Fanie

Reply to
fanie

It's just a personal theory, but I've found that 200/300Tdi's that have been thrashed mercilessly round the motorways always go alot better than one's that have been taken care of. My 110, when I got it at 70,500 would barely make 85mph, and was sluggish towing. Now, at 226,000, it does 95mph easily (and has done over 100 acording to the speedo)and tows wonderfully.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:31:40 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

low mileage pootlers never run 'em in properly :-)

actually, there some truth in that, also, they get clagged up if not thrashed a bit now and then.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Clearly you need to sheer the crank key and get it fixed!

Reply to
GbH

Don't we all?

Reply to
GbH

I thik the electronic thingy boosts the power to 130 bhp, ISTR it was done to make the autos perform like the manual versions.

~Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Thanks for all the replies! Another oddity that I've noticed between our disco and the one I test drove was the gearing. ours does about 42mph @ 2k rpm which is 21mph/1k rpm and the one I test drove did 40mph @ 1,500rpm or 26.5mph/1k rpm. Yet being a 5 door, and there for heavier, and having MUCH taller overall gearing it FAR quicker! Perhaps that electric trickery does give them 130hp??

I do think the turbo on ours needs an over hall. I was paying particular attention just now (on my way to get some series 3 parts - but they where shut) it feels like peak torque is made at about 2,600rpm - if I hold the throttle steady, gauge acceleration with my backside and watch the rev-counter. Need to change gear from 1st to 3rd at 3k rpm to stop the revs dropping below 2k. The drop between 4th and 5th is a bit smaller so I change at about 2,700rpm. I've heard that turbos tend to last up to 150k miles so perhaps its time to rebuild?

Its becoming clear that not all 300Tdi discos where created equal! Is there any info on the variations about?

Thanks! Toby

Reply to
TVS

Are you sure you're GETTING turbo boost ? If nothing else, rev the (warm) engine while holding the pipe to the inlet manifold, you should feel it swell beneath your hands. As it were.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

erm....

have you posted this in the right group Steve?

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Who cares... I'm waiting for the next bit... ;-)

Reply to
Mother

....be careful, if it gets too hard, you can blow the top off.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

So Steve Taylor was, like

Isn't that one of those situations where you hold a rag over the top to stop all the bits flying everywhere?

Reply to
Richard Brookman