300tdi Engine problem result

The owner of the dead Disco finally arrived back home and he called to say he just removed the ancillary belt and the engine started first time so it was the alternator seized as Mark Draper said. Thank you Mark. Neither of us can believe it could lock an engine solid but it did, must be a result of toothed belts as opposed to "V" belts. regards Bob.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

On or around Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:45:26 -0000, "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

that belt will drive a 100A alternator, which is nominally 1400W maximum output. I bet the belt is capable of transmitting several KW, and as such, would defeat the starter motor which is probably not over 2KW.

not seen a jammed alternator meself, but it could happen.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Bob Hobden writes

Thanks for letting us know.

Reply to
Marc Draper

It's fairly common - one customer just bought a 300Tdi Discovery for peanuts due to a sized engine....... why does that never happen to me!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

'Seized', as in the alternator had stopped the belt and engine , but the actual engine was OK?

Lucky b'stard. Or just sneaky.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

Alternator siezed.......

Luck for him - unlucky for me, I spent hours on the dammed quotes....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd