300TDi Fuel Starvation?

The last few weeks, despite being recently serviced, my 300TDi Defender has a tendency to suddenly cut out. There is no loss of electrical power but it is as if the fuel is suddenly starved.

I thought perhaps airlocks when the fuel elvel is low in the tank or n intermittent fault in the fuel pump.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Paul Wright

Things to check - in no particular order:

Any inline filters Sedimenter bowl fuel pump (especially any electrical contacts/earth)

Running it low on fuel can suck all of the crud from the bottom of the tank, which may in turn cause fuel blockage or restriction.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Fit a new filter anyway just for the hell of it ( 10 mins and £10 max ) but if it is a sudden death rather than a strangled fight then I would suspect the fuel cut off solenoid on the injector pump - the little thing a bit like an oil pressure switch to look at with a spade connector on it. Check that the connection is good but then try replacing the solenoid which is far more expensive that it looks like it should be - your Defenders way of really pissing you off! Why break something cheap when you can try to bankrupt your owner?

David LLAMA 4x4

Reply to
David_LLAMA4x4

bound to be the sedimentor sucking air, get rid , there more trouble than there worth, had the same problem myself, repllaced whole fuel line and return, no problems since

Reply to
tony

In article , tony writes

Defenders don't have them anyway.

Reply to
nospam

I did check this but UK spec vehicles don't have them, it seems to be fitted on expert models only just in front of the rear wheel arch from memory.

Reply to
Paul Wright

Paul,

I had EXACTLY the same thing on my 300TDi 110. It was the fuel solenoid not getting the volts properly.

If I removed the wire at the solenoid then a voltmeter showed 12 volts ok but connecting it up and they dissapeared. Clearly a high resistance somewhere and it seemed to me that it was in the alarm box which has a link to the fuel solenoid.

I fitted a by-pass wire and all was ok.

Hope this helps.

David Nutt>The last few weeks, despite being recently serviced, my 300TDi Defender has

Reply to
dhnuttonnspm

Dave, thanks for the suggestion.

How do I do this, I have tried to buy a Haynes manual but they have never done one for the 300TDi Defender so I don't know where to start even looking for the solenoid.

cheers

Paul

Reply to
Paul Wright

Paul,

the solenoid is on the back end of the injector fuel pump. It has a single wire connecting to it.

When you have the problem, measure the voltage on the solenoid contact and it should be 12 volts or more.

When the connection is working properly you should actually be able to hear the solenoid pulling in and releasing if you tap the live contact on the solenoid connection.

If you have no voltage on the solenoid then try linking a wire from a known live point and the solenoid contqact (I used the gicarrette lighter socket in an emergency when mine failed as I was driving along.

I have heard of the solenoid failing itself and you should be able to diagnose that if you have a genuine 12 volt connection and you cannot hear the click of the solenoid when you touch it.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and Happy Christmas.

David

Reply to