Range Rover engines - 4.0 or 4.6

Hi All,

Last week my 4.0 litre RR engine completely died on me. It's an R reg and all tied in with the engine block becoming porus (due to Landrover screwing up the way the engine was made) as I have had loads of over heating problems and it was drinking coolant like George Best drinks alcohol.

So I need to get a new engine for it but I can't quite decide on another 4.0 with chip or a straight 4.6. with or without chip.

I know a 4.6 will drink a bit more petrol but it will give more performance than the 4.0.

Does anybody have any peformance figures / MGP for a chipped and unchipped

4.6 to help me make my mind up.

Thanks in advance

Roger

Reply to
Roger Hembury

One thing to bear in mind is that the 4.0 engine is a smoother running design than the 4.6, the larger engine has more noticeable vibration due to the longer stroke. BTW, they didn't screw up the way it was made, they screwed up the fuelling that then resulted in localised overheating beyond the elastic modulus of the block. Have you had the heads off and confirmed the porosity (liner creep, actually) or is this speculation based upon reputation? I've replaced a lot of head gaskets on the later engines, more on the larger capacity, admittedly, but I personally have found that around 80% of all the engines I've looked at, it's just been gasdets, no liner creep. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I thought the 4.6's were the porous blocks, not the 4.0l?

Reply to
Tim Guy

Yeah, I thought it was the 4.6's, but I suppose the manufacturing processes are similar... Sorry but I think your bit about George Best was in very poor taste, especially after recent events. Wolverine.

Reply to
Wolverine

On or around Sat, 8 Oct 2005 19:05:18 +0100, "Wolverine" enlightened us thusly:

what recent events? The ones about him being back in hospital?

I mat well be wrong, but AIUI he had extensive and doubtless expensive treatment to cure the effects of alcohol abuse and then carried on drinking, possibly not so heavily.

Reply to
Austin Shackles