4.6 HSE management problems

My mate just fetched home this R reg 4.6 HSE that's stood abandoned for 2 years. Computer is confused and with a fresh batterry it lights up with "engine disables" and similar warnings for brakes, air bags and tailgate.

Is there a means of rebooting the computer or getting any diagnostic output from it to know where to start getting it running?

I sort of hope not coz then it may become the donor for a 4.6 auto

101.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I can thoroughly recommend that route - with PAS, obviously.

I'd also suggest a Piper 285 cam and vernier duplexer :-)

Reply to
.mother

On or around Wed, 21 May 2008 19:56:40 +0100, .mother enlightened us thusly:

yebbut, you chickened out and put carbs on yours, didn't you?

Auto box makes a lot of sense in a thing that size. I never regretted the auto conversion on the 110, not even when the first box I got died and it'd only go backwards :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Body ECU isn't agreeing on a security code with the engine ECU, so disables and immobilises. Happens if the power supply to the ecu is off long enough for the memory to effectively die - I assume there's some sort of internal power similar to a computer's motherboard battery for the BIOS settings. ONLY cure is to take it to someone with Testbook (who knows what they're doing!) and get everything reset.... You'll be lucky if you can get any output otherwise, so there's your leverage! P.S. a new ECU is around £1400 from landrover, if the old one has died totally......!! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

nice one! :) definately do it!. I like my 3.9, but just want more now!

There are a few EFI 101's about now. You just got to rebend your gearlinkage, trim the strut above the engine and re-jig the inlet pipework (and fit the efi plenum the other way round).

Maybe next year i'll EFI mine! :) I have got a magesquirt box.. :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Thanks Badger and others, He'll take it to the local place for this.

I doubt it is the ecu as it was parked up with only a central locking problem.

If it does have to get scrapped GBP1400 is out of the question so the megasquirt thing or maybe SUs and lpg will be the way.

Tom or Martyn as it's an autobox the linkage shouldnt be a problem should it?

AJH

Reply to
andrew

megasquirt should be easy as all the sensors are there. you can buy a pre-assembled box for about £250, then just wire it direct into the old landrover ECU connector!

My brain isnt working right as i missed the 'auto' bit! ;)

I blame the face full of antifreeze i got earlier when trying to drain the block on the 101! (and then the bang on the head as i tried to get out of the way of the antifreeze!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Get Mrs W to make you a doo-rag Tom I've given into the inevitability of scraping the chassis with my head not to mention showers of rust flakes and detritus- farmyard miscellaneous which rain upon my head while doing owt underneath . It doesn't hurt half as much and my dandruff no longer turns the shampoo water a curious mottled olive colour.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Wed, 21 May 2008 21:41:15 +0100, andrew enlightened us thusly:

You'll want to mount the RR shifter in a panel somewhere to make it look nice - it needs 2-3" of clearance underneath. The shifter has a fairly rigid cable to the box (i.e. it won't take tight bends), and it's not all that long, unless you get a different cable of course. It's designed so the shifter is more or less directly above the box, the cable goes from LHS low down on the box in a roughly semi-circular loop back to the shifter unit. I managed to get it to fit in a panel where the 110 gear lever used to be though, without hassle.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Utilise parts from both your current throttle linkage/plenum and that of a

3.9 efi and you'll be able to cobble the necessary together. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

Thanks again and Austin. The project is still theoretical as whilst he still has the 101 ambi with grab marks on it he's contemplating using the rr hse.

I've forwarded all your comments and advice.

I'm working for the slave driver tomorrow so I might find out more then.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Well I still haven't quite decided what to do with the TVR 5.2 V8 - open to sensible offers tho'.

Reply to
.mother

I'd love it, but i'm just not flush enough!

I went for my 3.9 as all in with the engine itself and my rebuild with new bits and some work done, I still had change from £500. A 5.2 - even if it needed some rebuild work is still work considerably more than that i'd assume?

Reply to
Tom Woods

TBH, a 3.9 is probably about right for an ambi - the 4.6 is nice, but certainly benefits from the autobox - if only to soak up the odd sillypower times.

New, still in the crate and wrapped - yours for 5K +VAT :-)

There are plentmuch knackered TVR engines to go with the plentymuch knackered TVRs (nice car, but overall a complete fuckup all round, TVR offered to buy back the Tuscan when they found out it hadn't broken down after 20,000 miles!). Saw a 5.2 in need of rebuild advertised for 300 notes recently.

Reply to
.mother