Tyre questions

My 109 is fitted with very good condition Michelin 7.50R16 off road tyres on the back and 205R16 all terrain remoulds on the front which are smaller in diameter, I have a spare of each, and am wondering what options I have...

I could put a pair of the matching Michelin's on the front, at a price, but I'm being warned that they aren't good on the road, but just how bad are they?.

I could go for a complete new set but what would be good?, I want reasonable off road ability.

7.50R16 seem hard to get but the metric alternatives of the same diameter seem very wide, a friend has some that stick out so far he's had to put those plastic arches on to try and keep the mud in!, and I really want it to look original, including the tyres.

Can anyone recommend good suppliers and brands please?.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

On or around Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:20:44 +0100, "Greg" enlightened us thusly:

I'd definitely ditch the 205s, way to small for a 109". You can still get Avons in 750R16, rangemaster I think the name is. not a super off-road mud tyre (for that you want general SAG or other SAT-lookalike), but OK on the road.

The metric "equivalent" is 235/85R16 which is about 2" wider, so would look about 1" wider - there's another point though, they might foul you r front springs, leading to reduced turning circle.

is handy for looking at tyres, although the listhas gone all clever... click on "4x4 tyres" then "tyre size search". they only list 4, though, in 7.50R16, including the avon in 8PR. you used to be able to get 6PR rangemasters as well, don't know if that's still true.

or click tyres and select brand to see all the ones from a particular maker. these pages are sorted by the first bit of the size, so 7.50s are on the last page of any given maker, if they have any.

Bronco of course don't do all the tyres there are, but it's not a bad selection.

There are others, though. Nankang spring to mind as makers of good reasonable-price tyres, I suspect they still do a 7.50R16, but I don't know.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I can vouch for Rangemasters, just fitted a set to my 110 V8 to replace Michelin XCLs. Road noise is much reduced (I can hear the engine now) and it doesn't feel like I'm driving over bricks. I gained

1 mpg as well (woot!). They also fitted my 5.5" rims, whereas a metric equivalent would have required 6.5" rims. I got mine off eBay, a company called (looks it up) d7-reifenshop (German). THey also have a website at

Cost me ?122 each, plus about ?70 postage to France.

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

try

they sell all sizes of COLWAY MT or AT tyres [remoulds]

235/85x16 MT are about 1 /12" taller than 7.50x16 MT , i have both on different rims and the 235 are much bigger but fit wheelarch ok .

the colway MT is around a max of =A350 each incl vat and delivery and other sizes are cheaper than this .

you should run the same size tyres on all wheels on a landrover, otherwise the diffs will wind up when you lock the hubs and stick the difflock in .

235/85x16 are about 2" wider than a 7.50x16 tyre .

if you buy some modular rims and use them tubeless you wont get the dreaded puntures that are associated with tubed rims , plus the aftermarket rims have a little more offset on them which places the rims slightly farther away from the hubs , ie no trouble with tyres rubbing chassis .

.

Greg wrote:

Reply to
m0bcg

Reply to
Andy Sargeant

On or around Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:07:58 +0200, Srtgray enlightened us thusly:

I've had 235/85R16 on standard 110 rims with no trouble; I think they're

5.5". The disco has 7" rims and 205 section tyres look way skinny on 'em, 235 look normal size.

The old series SWB rims were narrower, though, and wouldn't suit a 235 width tyre.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 18 Aug 2006 08:29:01 +0100, "Andy Sargeant" enlightened us thusly:

tempter.

out of interest, do Goodyear (apart from the G90?) make a 7.50R16 any more? they seem to be going out of fashion, which is going to get annoying on the older motors. 7.50s work well on the LWB series.

Reply to
Austin Shackles
7.50R16 Mud Pluggas (SAT clone) are available easily enough, AA Tyres I think. Noisy on road though if you do a lot of road mileage. Some of the 235/85s or whatever the metric equivalent is have a noticeably bigger rolling radius than a 7.50 which might cause you turning circle/body fouling problems.

Gordon.

Reply to
gordon

On or around 18 Aug 2006 02:41:39 -0700, "gordon" enlightened us thusly:

it's the extra width that's the real bugbear, though, I think, for clearance issues, although extra diameter doesn't actually help.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If anyone is desperate for 7.50R16s, Dunlop still manufacture them here in Zimbabwe.

I'm sure an export deal could be arranged if required!

Cheers! Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter

On or around 18 Aug 2006 11:07:49 -0700, "Graham Carter" enlightened us thusly:

I expect they do here, if you search hard enough. 's just that the main stockists aren't bothered to keep them for such a small market.

after all, you can still get new tyres in sizes like 4.50x21 for to put on yer vintage bentley...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reply to
Andy Sargeant

On or around Sun, 20 Aug 2006 07:16:42 +0100, "Andy Sargeant" enlightened us thusly:

pity, though. I still reckon 7.50s look best on the Series motors, well, obviously, for authentic look you want 6.00x16 on a SWB.

Reply to
Austin Shackles