90 Petrol Tank

Looks like I am going to have to replace the petrol tank on my 90 2.5 petrol as it seeping fuel since I filled right up recently. Checked under seat and it's not coming from anywhere on top so must be coming through the seams. Difficult job? And, is it worth getting a stainless tank if there is such a thing?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Based on experience with a Series III and a Ford Sierra, if you can get at the pipes and electrical connectors, the main awkwardness is the weight and size combination. You may have problems with corroded threads and need new fixings. On my Series III the previous owner had missed off a metal washer which should have transferred the weight to the bolt-head.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Not a difficult job technically, but getting the old one off can be a bugger. It just so happens we have a single-hole

90 tank going for 70.00 quid including delivery......ahem.

Stainless or not really depends on how long you intend keeping the vehicle.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Maybe. Only three bolts hold the tank in, but the two at the back onto the outrigger can be right b........s to shift - no room for angle grinders etc. The special bolt at the front might well shear, (the threaded part is smaller than the rest of it) but at least it's easy to get at and replace.

Gordon.

Reply to
Gordon

Mine has the sender unit and an in tank fuel pump so two holes. Shame.

I had intended to keep it for a long time but the number of things that are going wrong is making me a bit fed up. It's only done 48k miles too but I suppose it's the age and lack of previous TLC.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

"Gordon" wrote

I wouldn't have thought an angle grinder next to a leaking petrol tank a good idea. :-)

Reply to
Bob Hobden