Life of Petrol?

Here's an interesting one. I'd always thought petrol to have a shelf life of 3 maybe 4 years max. I have an old jerry can with some unleaded from 1996 (chalk mark) which I usually use for cleaning stuph with.

Well (erm) I accidentally filled my Honda EU10i Genny with the contents...

Runs a treat! Certainly no noticable difference from the 'new' lot filled a month or so ago.

So, what determines the shelf life of petrol, anyone?

As an additional interesting aside, the jerry can it was in was the most rancid one I have, previously filled with all sorts, including Red Deisel for mi boat at one point. The only thing about that can that was 'new' was the rubber seal around the cap.

Reply to
Mother

Two things limit the shelf life of petrol

  1. Evaporation of the light ends - this can be stopped completely by having it tightly sealed, and if this is the case this factor does not limit the life.
  2. Bacterial attack. The time taken for this varies enormously, and depends on :- humidity/water contamination, temperature, agitation, and to a minor extent access to air. It can be completely prevented if the petrol and container are not infected, but although there are probably some around that aren't, it is probably safest to assume that it is infected. Best precautions you can take are to keep it absolutely dry, and add one of the antibacterial additives - or do what most of us do, and don't store it for more than a month or two. JD
Reply to
JD

Came by a Midget the other year that had been stored for 10 years with a full tank of 4 star. Midget would only do about 45 mph, and that reluctantly, on it. Drained it out, put it in the Series 1 and it loved it! Ran like a dream.

However I believe unleaded goes off quicker, although my lawnmower doesn't seem bothered by 9 month old UL.

Gordon.

Reply to
Gordon

Good job really!

Nige

Reply to
/\/ / & E

Yeah, I had a car with 10 year old petrol. It wouldnt start until we drained it and put in fresh. After we drained it we tipped it on a fire and it put the fire out - so it obviously wasnt petrol anymore!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I did successfully run a Seagull outboard on some petrol from a can that had been in a garage since the War!!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Can't see why petrol should have a shelf life when it is distilled from crude which is millions of years old and simply a mix of diffferent fractions one of which is oil ?

Reply to
Hirsty's

It's still an organic chemical which can react with others to produce new substances, which may be less flammable than the original.

A litre of petrol, as part of an oil well and fully mixed with a load of other oil fractions, is pretty well isolated from any external reactants. A litre on its own in a mucky tin with a lid that may or may not be airtight is a rather different beast.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

You'd be amazed what low-compression petrol engines will run on.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Reply to
Simon

3.5L V8 in most 101s certainly seem to prove this to be true.

I spoke to the chap I got the new 5.2L TVR V8 engine from the other day. He was stunned that I hadn't put it in Grumble. He was even more stunned when I told him I'd filled all the pots with engine oil while it was standing to prevent corrosion. He firmly believes it will never run properly now - as it's had oil in the cylinders!

Reply to
Mother

Yeah, and that...

Anyone remember the site with the quality data on LPG which demonstrated the UK has the foulest on the planet?

Reply to
Mother

Don't mention the war. I did once, but I think I got away with it...

(I can do the walk...)

Reply to
Mother

Yeah, or any other catalytic intervention. My smile was caused by the jerry can being the most rancied and mucky amongst my (growing) collection. I put it down to the new, 15p rubber seal miself mind.

Buggrit, that's too sensible...

Reply to
Mother

I totally agree, however I was refering simply to the idea of a shelf life for petrol, not that it would be kept in awkward conditions. In a good container with no contaminents I'll bet the substance would last indefinately ( apart from evaporation or diffusion ).

A litre on its own in a mucky tin with a lid that may or

Reply to
Hirsty's

What's wrong with that? I've got a 2.25 petrol with the head off sitting outside. The bores are packed with grease, ditto the holes 4 the cam followers, top of the block also covered, and a lid over.

15 minutes work with a parafin gun and it's ready to roll (with a head, of course)

Alex

Reply to
Alex

LOL. My race car engine spends every off season sitting with oil filled bores and still made it's full complement of horsepower (all 490 of them) the last time it was near the dyno.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:45:13 +0000, Mother enlightened us thusly:

so am I, to be honest :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ah Seagulls..... they'll run on anything that's not 100% water and even that's worth a try....

Managed to get mine to run backwards once.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB