90 security

I have just bought a full length canvas and hoodsticks to put on my 90 in the summer. Was wondering about the best way to make sure its secure. I wont be keeping anything in it. It already has a hidden ignition cut off switch but I was wondering about something more visible/physical. One thing I thought off was a handbrake lock, Jetlock I think its called, anygood or does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks Richard

Reply to
Richard

I should have said earlier I have had a demo of the locking clutch system and very good it was too. The only problem is that mine is an auto - wot no clutch. Thanks anyway Richard

Reply to
Richard

The clutch lock and handbrake lock are both very easily defeated with a set of bolt cutters under the vehicle. Much land rover crime is by organised gangs, who would get round both those in seconds unfortunately.

Perhaps a better way would be some device to lock it into park, with suitable shielding underneath to prevent cutting of the cable/linkage, together with a decent steering lock (weld an eye to the chassis, protruding through the floor, and chain the wheel to it, a padlocked chain is one of the hardest locks to break, as you cant get any purchase on the lock to lever it) This together with a decent alarm system will give you about as much protection as you need, at the end of the day, no matter what locks, alarm etc you have on there, if someone comes along with a HIAB, chucks it on the back of the truck and drives off, then its gone.

FWIW, some of my work involves removing vehicles without the owners consent (on request of the police) and the worst ones to move are autos locked in park, and any vehicle with the steering locked at an angle. If it takes me

10-20 minutes to load, with an alarm going off all the time, its attracts quite a crowd. No hassle to me, but if I was a thief, then I think I would be well out of there!
Reply to
SimonJ

You've the right idea in trying to keep it where you've parked it rather than trying to stop people getting into it.

I read somewhere recently (might have been here, not sure) about a clutch lock. Basically seemed like a oneway value operated by a key you plumb into the clutch hydraulics. One the would-be thief press presses clutch, it stays on the floor. Can also be plumbed into the brakes, though there were some legal concerns apparently.

Gromit

Reply to
Gromit

This this is the clutch lock I saw, if it isn't it operates on the same principle.

Gromit

Reply to
Gromit

So SimonJ was, like

But steering wheels are easy to cut with boltcroppers - the vehicle remains more-or-less driveable. The only steering locks worth the bother (AIUI) are the ones that cover the whole rim of the wheel. You can have the best chain/padlock in the world, but if the thief cuts a 2" section out of the wheel, it's gone.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

..that engages the clutch and you don't necessarily need to disengage it to drive.

Reply to
Dougal

Is this the system that hydraulically locks the clutch down ??

What a stupid idea ! Clutch slave cylinders and clutch forks don't last very long as it it is without leaving them for hours under load.

You will have to fix the crap handbrake too as you won't be able to leave it in gear anymore.

Just a thought

-- Marc

FOR SALE : DISCOVERY II (02) SERENGETTI 7SEAT 39,000 MILES FSH (sold) DISCOVERY II (51) GS7, ACE, SLS, CLIMATE,67,000 MILES B.F.G AT'S DISCOVERY TDI R REG EPSOM GREEN, 7SEATS, AC, AW. DISCOVERY TDI M REG VAN 100,000 MILES.

Reply to
Marc Draper

I don't see how the system I was referring to could be defeated with bolt cutters. Take cutters to it and you've a puddle of DOT4 on the ground.

Gromit

Reply to
Gromit

The one I was shown locked the clutch up, ie. you couldnt push it down. I assume there is a valve between the master and slave cylinder? Richard

Reply to
Richard

Yup that would be kinder on the mechanics, but pretty useless as an anti theft device.

-- Marc

FOR SALE : DISCOVERY II (02) SERENGETTI 7SEAT 39,000 MILES FSH DISCOVERY II (51) GS7, ACE, SLS, CLIMATE,67,000 MILES B.F.G AT'S DISCOVERY TDI R REG EPSOM GREEN, 7SEATS, AC, AW. DISCOVERY TDI M REG VAN 100,000 MILES.

Reply to
Marc Draper

I am assuming that the system holds the clutch in (disengaged). Cut the pipe, then you have the clutch permanently engaged, and you simply drive away clutchless.

If the system just blocks the system, so the clutch is permanently engaged, it doesn't stop the vehicle being driven, again, you drive off clutchless.

Reply to
SimonJ

Bugger, your right of course.

Back to the drawing board!

Reply to
SimonJ

Take a look at the Clutch Claw, it's advertised in all the mags. I've got one and it locks the clutch and brake pedals togther so neither can be used.

Maybe it could be made to work with an auto and lock just the brake.

They are supposed to be very secure and have been subjected to lots of abuse to test them.

Reply to
Simon Barr

So SimonJ was, like

Mind you, "going equipped" with boltcroppers does suggest a serious approach, the kind of scrote who will get the car eventually whatever you do. A big f*ck-off chain and padlock should deter most casual thieves.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I have one of those but if it were hauled up on the back of a lorry, the thieves could remove and replace the pedals at there leisure.

One thing you have to ask yourself is, if you lost the key, what would you do. I wouldn't attempt to saw through the clutch claw, I would go for the weakest point,

However round here they are mostly idiots and like to make things difficult for themselves like the characters who tried to crowbar my rear doorhandle off, when a screwdriver in the lock would have done the job much easier.

Reply to
Larry

Of course. There is not a lot you can do to defend against that though.

The 110 has also got an alarm and immobiliser so the Clutch claw isn't the only defense.

I have thought about this and I'm not certain what I would do. Most likely I would get the angle grinder on it. You could cut the pedals but I don't know how easy it is to fit new ones. You may be better off just sacrificing the Clutch claw, you'd also get an idea of how hard they are to remove.

Reply to
Simon Barr