Full-length roofrack for Disco...?

Hi guys.

I once again find myself asking the fountain o' knowledge for answers...=20 :)

I'm looking for a roofrack to carry a ladder - it's a 2-section=20 extension ladder and fairly long (stretches up to the eaves with ease).=20 I also want it to chuck other random stuff up there. Now, I've been=20 browsing LRO's ad's for roofrack, and all I can see are half-length=20 roofracks that stop at the dip in the roof - all except for this one:=20

- [1] Only thing is, they want about =A3500 for the rack. :(

So, has anyone ever used the standard half-length racks to carry a=20 ladder? I'm a bit nervous in doing so, purely from a leverage pov.=20 Besides which, as I don't have any sunroofs, it seems a shame to waste=20 all that roof space...but at almost 5 times the price of a half-length=20 one...*sigh*.

Your advice is, as always, appreciated.

Oh and while I'm here, any one know of a good Landrover garage down by=20 Plumstead (SE18), seeing as I'm going to be living there from next month=20 (*sigh*), and I need to get a new wing pretty soon.

Cheers, Aled.

[1] See
for=20the full description.
Reply to
Aled Treharne

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.ftech.net, Aled Treharne wrote: | Hi guys. | | I once again find myself asking the fountain o' knowledge for | answers... :) | | I'm looking for a roofrack to carry a ladder - it's a 2-section | extension ladder and fairly long (stretches up to the eaves with | ease). I also want it to chuck other random stuff up there. Now, I've | been browsing LRO's ad's for roofrack, and all I can see are | half-length roofracks that stop at the dip in the roof - all except | for this one: | |

- [1]| | Only thing is, they want about £500 for the rack. :( | | So, has anyone ever used the standard half-length racks to carry a | ladder? I'm a bit nervous in doing so, purely from a leverage pov. | Besides which, as I don't have any sunroofs, it seems a shame to waste | all that roof space...but at almost 5 times the price of a half-length | one...*sigh*. | | Your advice is, as always, appreciated. | | Oh and while I'm here, any one know of a good Landrover garage down by | Plumstead (SE18), seeing as I'm going to be living there from next | month (*sigh*), and I need to get a new wing pretty soon. | | Cheers, | Aled. | | [1] See
for| the full description. I have the half-size one, and have carried a 2 part ladder many times on it. It's aluminium (the ladder) so weight and leverage is not really an issue.

I measured up once, and worked out that two half size racks will fit. Cheaper than one big one?

Mark

Reply to
Mark Pewsey

Aled Treharne tried to scribble ...

Why not just roof bars ?

I know a rack carries so much more, but with the height of a Disco I prefer to use the inside or a trailer .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Other people do decent racks too, like Brownchurch, but most of them are about the same price. You occasionally see Safety Devices ones s/h for about £200 but they go quick. I had one which I bough s/h for £100, but annoyingly, I had to use it as a negotiating point with the guy who bought my Disco.

Try calling

they are very helpful. David.

Reply to
David French

I use an alloy one made by a firm called Lite-racks, unfortunately I haven't got a number or address for them, it only cost £250 new, they come in "kit" form in that lite racks fit loads of different vehicles, and you buy the parts and sizes you want to fit. I seem to remember they even did a ladder roller bit for the back. I will have a look for a number on the rack itself, which is hung up in the garage, don't hold your breath though. hope it helps

John Knights

Reply to
docmartin

Hrm. I've no problems with height, my main problem is that I always carry my Mountain Rescue gear in the back of the Disco, which takes up pretty much all of the loadspace. Hence why I was looking for extra carrying capacity...

Cheers, Aled.

Reply to
Aled Treharne

I've carried heavy loads on a fully loaded raised Disco and had no problems whatsover with stability, CoG etc. Be sensible but don't be paranoid, I think the problem tends to be overstated.

David

Reply to
David French

:(

Seemed very strange that people are offering half-length racks for about £120 in LRO, yet the full-length ones are ~£500. *sigh*

Oooh, now *that* was a website I hadn't found, thanks. :)

Cheers, Aled.

Reply to
Aled Treharne

Really? Hrm. My main concern was that the ladder may be long enough to exert enough force to do damage.

Strangely enough, you're not the first person to suggest this... :)

Cheers, Aled.

Reply to
Aled Treharne

David French posted ...

Heheheh, you misunderstand .. I, and my wife, are only 5' 4" tall .. we can't reach the fecking roof .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Ah well, that's a different matter...

1) Can you scramble up the spare wheel, that's what I used to do. 2) Door mounted ladder? 3) Get a taller wife? no, perhaps not...
Reply to
David French