98 Disco 2.5L ES not charging?

Hi All,

The missus was talking to my Sister on the phone tonight and she mentioned their Disco wasn't working (the one we went round the off road track in Abingdon in the the other day)? ;-(

He seems to think it's the alternator and has booked it into the LR dealers but they can't take it in till Friday week?

I can test for voltage (DMM) and current (DMM and DC ampere clamp) and am going there anyway on Sat so might check it out for him.

Q1. If the alternator had got a drenching would that have killed it?

Q2. Is it a difficult job to change?

Q3. Would I be able to get one at the local car spares shop and is it likely to be expensive?

All the best and thanks for your time ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

On or around Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:04:53 GMT, T i m enlightened us thusly:

possibly

nope.

yep and yep.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Doh! ;-(

Wahoo ;-)

Wahoo doh!

Ok, let me re-phrase that question .. if I get 'trade' at my local motor factors, would they be likely to stock one (exchange or otherwise) and is it a simple 'remove electrical connectors, loosen tensioner bracket on alternator and remove 'V' belt and alternator. Re-assemble' etc?

If I was to do it for him would I save him some money (I should save him time re getting it into the dealers etc ..)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Tim,

On the 3.9 V8, it's a simple case of unbolting it, replacing it and then sticking the belt back on (it has a tensioner!) - on the TDi you have to bugger about to get the tension - but it can't be *that* hard ;-)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

On or around Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:39:56 GMT, T i m enlightened us thusly:

yep. assuming they have it, check first, innit. It's a big f***er on that age, I reckon - A133/100 or something - 100A lucas big mutha alternator. You'll prolly have to get the pulley off the old one which can sometimes be fun.

oh, and make sure you take note of the which wires are on which terminals, too...

...and he might save you money in the pub thereafter, by buying you beer?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Did the cam belt on my 218SD Rover the other day (I'm used to RWD Ford cars where the cam belt can often be changed as you wipe the windscreen) and that was just akward .. Disco alternator should be a breeze (shouldn't it ..?)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Did that .. not in stock (deryah know wot I'm sayin) ...

It's a big f***er on that

60 or 100A the geezer said (innit) ? 100A lucas big mutha alternator.

Der geezer at the car spares place fing ee said 92 pands for d 60 amp fing and 180 pands for d 100 amp fing innit?

Made more fun by doing it outside and in the cold / rain yes?

Cut the red wire .. NO .. the blue wire .. NO .. erm ..

Or a hot toddy if the weather is like today has been (well yesterday now) ..

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

On or around Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:44:20 GMT, T i m enlightened us thusly:

it's supposed to be a 100A on a 300 TDi, which I assume this is. 60A would probably work, in the event of that being the only one available, but you might find the pulley won't fit - ISTR some of the smaller alternators have smaller shafts as well.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ah, well more good input thanks. I think he'd been keen to refit what was on there .. we will see later ..

Cheers ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m