Oil in my SU 175CD

I've heard that oil should be filled in the carburetors of my V8 Def 90-'86.

Does anyone knoes how much and which oil? Oil of automatic transfer boxes?

Kind regards,

Marc

Again

Reply to
Tja Mats

IME ATF works fairly well. In very warm climates you may want something a little heavier, say about 20 weight.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:52:27 +0200, "Tja Mats" enlightened us thusly:

I generally used to put engine oil in 'em. If you run out of oil in the damper (that's what it is) on the carbs, it'll not run right in various ways. It seems rather to depend on the engine, I've seen anything from "won't idle" to "won't run at all" as symptoms for low dashpot oil in SU and similar carbs.

fill 'em to about 1cm from the top.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Erm, Are you sure you have SU 175CD? The 175CD was a Stromberg carb (later branded a Zenith, but still a 175CD), not a SU.

In any case, they both use oil in the dashpots, which should be normal engine oil. Officially the reccomendation is SAE20, so 20w50 or 15w40 engine oil will suffice. It doesn't need an awfull lot - the manual says "Fill to within 6mm of the top of the air valve shaft" Thats the tube inside the dashpot which the plunger fits into.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Sorry you're wright!