96 Disco ES stereo

Is my stereo playing up? when i press the volume up button mounted on the binnacle the radio changes stations or the cd skips to the next track. I have no instructions for it so don't know if there is something I am doing wrong.

added a cd auto-changer I got off eBay for £50 ( original was missing) excellent quality sound off the ES's premium speaker pack !! :-) not quite as good as my Musical Fidelity/B&W setup in the house - but good for a car.

Reply to
StaffBull

'Tis a common problem ... something to do with the switches themselves.

There are replacement switches that cure the problem and they're quite inexpensive (even from your local dealer) :-)

I've got a spare set of duff ones like yours if you want them :-))

Regards

Steve G

StaffBull wrote:

Reply to
SteveG

Even being the hoarder I am - I'll pass on the duff set all the same !! cheers. Is there some "intelligence" in the switches? I would have gone for the stereo miss interpreting a signal and giving the wrong command to switch station -I'll pull the switches off the 300 Tdi at the WE as they are not used ( MP3/CD head unit fitted). Thanks for the pointer.

Steve.

Reply to
StaffBull

On later Discovery's, with the switches on the steering wheel, you have 3 switches volume up/down (pull/push) and skip forward/back (pull/push) amd mode (press end). How many switches do you have? If you have skip ones do they adjust the volume? Swap the key caps...

I find it rather bright and lacking in the bottom end (yes the sub is working) and even flat out isn't that loud but it is clean.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think they are all push type -I'll check tomorrow, by "late" do you mean the disco II ?

I found the bottom end acceptable >

Reply to
StaffBull

I had my Volume Up button and my Next button both replaced twice under warranty. The Volume up button has failed again, so I might get them to replace it on Monday when I have my next service.

It does seem to be a common, and repetitive, problem!

Judith

Reply to
Judith

I can try the one from our 300Tdi and see if that works - It's only a small problem but annoying none the less!!!

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
StaffBull

*very* annoying. I've got used to it now but I used to hear something interesting on the radio and decide to nudge the volume up a little ..... and the flipping thing would change channel and I'd miss whatever I wanted to hear! Grr!

I'm sure there must be a proper solution to the problem? I mean, are these buttons just really badly made? Or is the LR stereo system badly designed? Oh well, this is the first LR that I've had an FM radio in (let alone a CD player!) so mustn't grumble!

Judith

Reply to
Judith

The ones on my ES went duff, they work by shorting resistors to give a different voltage at the input to the head unit so a bit of crud on the switch contacts can make them miss read. I initially thought they were all different inputs but they are all wired in series with resisters.

I got rid of my problem by getting an RDS Radio/MP3 CD player, 14 CDs compressed onto one CD with no real loss of quality.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Well in the Disco II (yes the later models...) the remote is via a resistor chain and switches to connect each join between each resistor to another wire so not quite what you are describing but pretty similar.

Been digging in the RAVE and this is the remote switching for all variants in the Disci II (fixed pitch font required):

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My 96 ES Disco still had the problem with it's original switches. I don't know when LR introduced the modified versions.

Regards

Steve G

StaffBull wrote:

Reply to
SteveG

On Disco 1 pressing the buttons grounds the lead from the radio at various points along a resistor chain. Vol Down puts a direct ground to the radio input so when the buttons refused to do what they were told on my disc a press on the vol down used to sort it out. Sounded like a charge was picked up on the loom. After most of the buttons had fallen off the front of the radio I decided to upgrade to an MP3 cd player/RDS radio.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Just thought I would mention that I found one of the two bass speakers in my

97 Disco to be seized. I thought the bass was rather poor considering there are two speakers and a separate amplifier so I carried out a careful inspection one afternoon. Discovered that the speaker cone on one unit did not move a mm while the other pulsed very well. Thought the voice coil might be stuck because of grit or corrosion but could not free it up. Finally carried out a destructive investigation and discovered the central steel core had been installed off-center and was pinching the voice coil. Speaker never worked properly from Day 1. So much for QC on the speakers. Replaced both with JBLs and now have very nice base. Interestingly the mounting holes for the JBLs lined up perfectly.
Reply to
Gordon Wedman

It gets stranger !! with the engine off and just on aux position all buttons work fine !! oh the joy of the Land Rover why the hell did I not buy Japanese !!!

Reply to
StaffBull

Are theses both mounted in the rear door. I have a rear near side refuses to play ball. I suspect wiring is an issue as I've swapped the other one over.

I also have the switches with the random effects dependant on if your listening to something interesting and need it louder.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Now where's the fun in that? ;o)

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Yes, the speakers I am referring to are both in the rear door. When I replaced them I could not find 6 1/2 inch bass-only speakers that did not come in a kit with tweeters/midrange speakers so I purchased 2-way speakers. I reasoned the stereo system must have a crossover somewhere that sends only low frequencies to the rear door speakers. In this case the midrange speaker of the 2-way design would not get any frequencies it could reproduce and that would be OK. I imagine these speakers are not quite as good as bass-only 6 1/2 speakers but they sound pretty good. As for strange electrical problems, have a look at my "97 Disco weird electrical problem" post from a few weeks ago. The problem here turned out to be a broken wire on a "header junction". Apparently Land Rovers have quite a few of these junction boxes and they often cause problems, especially if they get wet and corrode. Mine was in the driver's side kick panel. Don't know where others are located.

Reply to
Gordon Wedman