'99 Defender Tow Socket Wiring

Hi all, whilst towing my Mother's caravan back home for her this evening, I have noticed that the right side light is out on back of 'van. Checked the towing socket on Defender and it is only giving out 1.2 volts on the pin for right side lights. all other pins are giving correct voltage (for the other functions). It is a Landrover wiring loom. The side lights on Defender work correctly. Wiring in back of socket is OK, and wire itself only reads 1.2 volts. Does anyone now where this wiring loom connects in to vehicle harness? I presume I have a bad connection further up loom/harness but not able to see tonight as it is DARK & WET ;-( always the case. Any advice would be most grateful. PLEASE though, don't suggest to take it to main dealer, THEY :0( are still fault finding my Td6 air suspension................... Dave

Reply to
Foxhunter

There are two possibilities depending on age ('99 being a transition year).

On the older models the main "distribution point" is behind the RHS rear lights. There's a metal cover on the inside of the rear tub held on by 2 or 3 screws. Take that off and underneath it is all the wiring for the rear of the vehicle. The LHS lights also connect in there. There is a mass of bullet connectors that the trailer wiring should be plugged into.

On the newer (TD5) models there is a grey connector beneath the RHS wheelarch that the trailer electrics plug into. It's a 9 way connector, the RH tail light is the Green and Purple wire (pin 5).

HTH

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

suspension...................

Thanks Dave, going out to have a look now. It is a Td5 so hopefully under the wheel arch (if I can scrape away all the mud!!)

Dave

Reply to
Foxhunter

Green & purple is stop light. Side lights are red with black and red with orange.

suspension...................

Reply to
Betabeta

Reply to
Foxhunter

Well spotted :-)

Strangely the circuit diagram refers to the RH brake lights as "LAMP TAIL RH", I should have spotted that not only is "LAMP TAIL RH" connected to "LAMP TAIL LH" but also "LAMP BRAKE" !

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Reply to