Wiring`#

Remove the lens, the bulb holder is held in place with a rubber ring, gently 'open this out' and the lampholder will pop out. The wires will probably not be crimped, observe the bullet, and especially the way the wire will be bent to hold it in place. Gently pull the two wires out - this will also remove the bullet. There will be a small circular rubber gromet through which the wires go, remove this before pulling the wires out of the back of the assembly.

Push new wires in, through the gromet, terminate in the same way with the bullety things then try to prise, force, swear - as the lampholder refuses to go back into the round rubber retaining rubbery bit...

Reply to
Mother

Since, if truth be known, our 101s are the first old vehicles we have ever had, is embrittlement of the wiring underneath something to have been expected ? Or is it the result of the attack of the black slime aka underseal.

MOT time looms in 13 hours and the nearside taillight wiring is falling apart faster than I can track the wiring back.

How DO you get a pepper-pot NATO lamps connections out to replace them at the lampholder ? Ta

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Ah yes, I reached that stage earlier....

AND the back of the %^$&$*$*( pepper pot is made from rusty looking paper doiley.

I can see new aluminium pepper pots on my list of turning jobs now too.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

You neglect to mention the nut on the back that clamps on the wires, the undoing of which facilitates the removal of the holder without leaving the bullets behind in the rubber.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Valid point - I'd forgotten that particular joy...

Reply to
Mother

Has anybody ever bought a wiring loom for a 101? How much would one set you back? I presume those people that make normal landy wiring looms would do one?

The back of my dash is like a big nest of bare wires with no insulation. There are lots of lights that come on at random, and some of the guages only seem to work when so inclined.

just wondering before i start fixing it up myself. Most probably the cost will put me off and make me more determined to get it done myself...

Reply to
Tom Woods

Ooh, sounds like my Series II's. Landrover carried on the tradition with the 101 of cramming 70 wires and 100 connections behind the dash.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I'm not rising to that comment....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

RUN don't walk to a decent sparkie.

NK recovery: Instrument harness 85 quid. Alternator harness 25 quid. Front light/wiper harness 25 quid.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

With the black slime chipped off, the nut came off with only fingers. Anyway stripped it down and soldered new wires in - what a horrible assembly it was - the bullets had been pushed in to secure the wires and were all coated with verdigris - the resistance through the fitting was over 1000 Ohms.

Lots of rubber lubricant helps reassembly....

Job done, in nice -3 deg. ambient.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Que why?

Reply to
Mother

Well B$^£&£r me he's passed his MOT - with a warning that he needs new pepper pot holders.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Something to do with a previous thread.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I guess I may pronounce 'que' differently to many people, more like 'kay'... Only others who pronounce it similarly would have understood my very thin attempt at humour, there...

Reply to
Mother

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Alex at snipped-for-privacy@cbmsys.co.uk wrote on 26/2/04 9:18 pm:

and bananas

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Hellerine. Lasts longer....

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Ah, yes, I've got it now. Sorry, that one flew straight (bent?) over my head.

Alex

Reply to
Alex