a spot of renovation

I was poking at a bubble below the door catch on Miles' ( 5dr Disco 300) C pillar last week so it went on the 2do list for this weekend and yes it turned into a hole as soon as I touched it with the rotary brush. Cleaned the hole back to good metal with a dremel grinding wheel and thought it wise to remove the flakes left behind.............. one was bigger than I reckoned it should be so when it came out it left daylight below. Out comes the rotary brush and I end up with an irregular 3x4inch hole to weld up . To afford more room to swing the mig take off the rear wheel and Ooooo look the brake disc is unevenly shiny actually the pad track is about an inch 1/4 across so better sort that out first pull the pins and the retaining spring dissolves to cracker crumbs. Pads do not want to come out but they do with encouragement- reason the bottom edge was rusted to the caliper ( remember children when you assemble the brakes copaslip the back of the pads by all means but do not forget the edge that slides on the caliper or it won't ). Reassembled brakes after cleaning the surface grot off the disc. Welded the patches (reinforced the bottom internal edge of the pillar) filled the edges and zinc primered the lot. I suppose the moral of this is if you go poking about do it before a bank holiday beats sitting in traffic. Derek Disco 300TDi Miles Disco 200TDi Kato

footnote - I will be changing the rear discs and pads shortly and looking in the comic the parts cost (2 xdisc, set of pads springs pins,and seals for hubs) is almost the same as Al Frauds charged me for a set of pads when the local guy let me down 2 hours before I had to be back for a retest!!

Reply to
Derek