ACE leak and MOT

Hi,

I have a question regarding leaking ACE and MOTs. First off, yes it does have a minor leak I'm asking out of curiosity than anything else, I'm interested in whether the tester should have failed it, failed under a different section or given an advisory. .

It's a D2 V8 and has failed its MOT on section 2.4.D.2 (Fluid suspension leaking) having read through the MOT guidelines I'm not convinced the ACE system comes under the suspension system for MOT, would have thought more torsion bars which doesn't have a section for fluid systems?

The system only leaks when it is running, if I remove the relay the leak is contained is the yellow light on the dash a failure?

Interested in peoples thoughts

Ben

Reply to
A Person

I don't think that you can argue that ACE is not 'suspension'. It has torsion bars but they're hydraulically assisted.

Even if you could argue that the 'locked bar' mode which you may have entered is stable and safe, the fact that you have a leak probably puts you into the same category as a defective fuel filler cap. The concern for which would be of oil on the road.

You're lucky to have been able to contain the leak although I can't see where it could leak and be controlled - unless it was just 'dampness'.

I've just has my system leak - one of the pipes to the rear actuator. Oil just poured out!

At this stage you need to ask yourself if it is worth repairing the system, nice tho' it is when working. Once it gets to replacing corroded pipes the numbers very soon add up and it's unlikely to end until the entire set has been replaced. Do the sums: it may be the time to bite the bullet and revert to the standard all mechanical setup (as I did) as a cost avoidance move. Unless you are in the habit of throwing the car around you'll probably not notice the difference and it'll be quieter, too.

Reply to
Dougal

I've had two DII's one with ACE and one without. The difference between them is not very much. The one without might roll a bit more but, as you say, you have to be really throwing it around corner.

Can't say I noticed that.

As for the MOT the ACE is part of the suspension. If all the fluid pisses out onto the road how will it be able to go into the mentioned "locked bar" mode?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , A Person writes

Warning lights are/are about to become a failure. Not sure when it is being introduced.

Reply to
bert

Thought they were already? We had to fix (get reset) the airbag warning light in domestic managment's Punto, for it to pass earlier this year.

Or, is it now they plan on taking into account more warning indicators?

Cheers.

Dave B.

Reply to
DaveB

introduced.

2012.html

I thought the airbag light had always been part of the test but googling about seems to indiacte it came in with the stuff in Jan

2012.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Didn't want to be too specific as I wasn't sure. Don't know exactly which are covered and which are not - but generally any safety related ones and emissions. They must no only be not on they must be shown to be working i.e. would come on in a fault condition.

Reply to
bert

I pity future owners of ex fleet cars such as my works Mazda 6 TS2. (160ps Diesel) There are more emission control warning lights waiting to pop up on that, than stage lighting effects at a glam rock concert!

Most with symbols that defy description.

Dave B.

Reply to
DaveB

They all mean the same thing: Go to the garage and be charged a shed load of money only for the light to come back on in a week or so....

Lizzy

Reply to
Lizzy Taylor

Indeed... All too true. :(