adjusting valve clearance

in the haynes manual it says adjust the clearance on a cold engine. but what if the engine is warm, should you allow a slightly larger clearance?

paul

Reply to
Paul

If the manual says cold, it means stone cold, like first thing in the morning. How are you going to measure "slightly"?

(series engines tappets are 10 thou hot or cold, which I have never really understood. Surely it's one or the other?)

Don't risk it - do it next time you have a cold engine.

DaveP

Reply to
davepseudonym

If you were really cunning, or bloody lucky, one bit that expanded "up" could be countered by another bit expanding "down".

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

On or around Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:39:13 +0100, "Paul" enlightened us thusly:

on what?

the plate on the top of my 2¼ says "valve clearnaces 0.010 engine hot or cold".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around 1 Aug 2005 08:20:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com enlightened us thusly:

just means that the expansion in the head and in the valve stems is the same. You can adjust it at any point.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It would help if we knew what engine you are talking about. If it is the Series 2/3 2.25 petrol or diesel, it can be set hot or cold or anywhere in between, as the expansion of the head and the valve gear compensate for each other. Although my experience is that there is about one thou increase in gap when hot. If this is not the engine you are talking about, then set as specified in the manual (some engines I have worked on specify "hot and running", which can get messy). JD

Reply to
JD

On or around Tue, 02 Aug 2005 06:59:59 +1000, JD enlightened us thusly:

and rather silly. mind, the haynes series book says "cold", despite what the engine itself has on it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles