Advice on used 90s

Hi all,

Having lurked here for a while (the bug having bitten some years ago) people seem to know what they're talking about...[for usenet :-)]

I'm going to be in a position to buy a car soon and was thinking something 90 shaped. Trouble is it will need to be used for motorway driving occasionally so 60+ without sounding like it will fall apart would be good (I don't really enjoy driving so not that much just relly/parent visits!).

I can stretch to around 5000ukp and was thinking early 200Tdi since the earlier diesels have a bit of a reputation by this age (cues posts defending them). I'm no mechanic (yet?! pretty good at things technical though). Not been able to find anything about the petrol engines verdicts? Or should I keep looking out for Tdi's. Anything I should be checking?

Thanks for any comments

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair

Alistair wrote in news:3ffda6b4$1 snipped-for-privacy@corp.newsgroups.com:

Reply to
Derry Argue

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

"Paul S. Brown" wrote in news:btkd99$83rvo$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-169718.news.uni-berlin.de:

Nope. Not guilty.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

My early 1986 2.5 petrol 90 with 46,000miles cost me £1,800. Needs some attention to surface Ally worm, new tyres in a short while, a bit of work on soundproofing, and the fuel system cleaned out(ran out of petrol on the test drive and sucked up some muck I suspect!!!) but otherwise seems excellent. Bit thirsty compared to a diesel though, about 20mpg max, I would guess.

Is it true the Woilf version of the Defender still uses the 300 TDi?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I believe so (as stocks last in Solihull) and as said in another post elsewhere (and (heretically said) on another group) military mechanics cannot cope with the technicalities of the TD5 in the UK let alone on a battle field. They are now (I understand) passing out repairs for vehicles to main dealers who have all the workbook thingies as there are now definitely 2 levels of military vehicle: Fleet ones (TD5) which UK based and are no longer supported in house and those which get shot at. I struggle to see Tommy Atkins jumping out of his truck to plug a laptop into a 110 to see what was wrong. I mean how many of these would they need at and what unacceptable cost?

Going for more gin....

Reply to
pl.white

On or around Thu, 08 Jan 2004 18:51:28 +0000, Alistair enlightened us thusly:

should get a reasonably good TDi 90 for that money. Also worth looking at discos, unless you're dead set on a 90 that is. Plenty around for 5K-ish money, some very good.

Not much difference really between the 200 and 300 TDi, engine-wise, they should stack up the same on power, to within a gnat's wotsit. The 300 is more refined, typically, but that's mostly down to better soundproofing - I think they have 2-stage injectors, too, which makes 'em quieter.

most relevant thing to look at is the bulkhead, followed by chassis, and keep a weather eye open for play in the gearbox output shaft, which affects the 5-speeder LT77 boxes and early R380 boxes, up to about 96/97 somewhere I think. not a cheap fix. Shows up most obviously as a clank/clunk from the middle of the vehicle when you pull up and go into reverse, or reverse and then go forwards, also if you come of the throttle and back on again in say

2nd. similar noises can be wear in the front axle as well, including CV joints which are easy enough to change and reasonably priced if you don;t fit genuine parts ones.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks all for replies, I'm quietly keeping my eyes open and have bought a copy of LROI for the adverts mainly. However I notice a cover from a previous issue (poss December?) a headline of Defender: yours for £5k which I figure might be worth a look at. Has anyone got a copy? Was the article worth reading? Before I go to the hassle of ordering the back issue (since they probably won't sell me just the photocopied/scanned article)

Many thanks

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair

Alistair wrote in news:4011a134$1 snipped-for-privacy@corp.newsgroups.com:

Reply to
Derry Argue

Twas Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:33:21 +0000 when Alistair put finger to keyboard producing:

I'll scan it for you...

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Fri, 23 Jan 2004 22:33:21 +0000 when Alistair put finger to keyboard producing:

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Thanks, the email address (loosing the spamtrap bit) is good for up to 5MB.

Cheers

Alistair

Reply to
Alistair

Twas Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:15:33 +0000 when Alistair put finger to keyboard producing:

Uploaded to here, it'll be there for a week.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk

Reply to
Mr.Nice.