Airlock in heater matrix

I have just replace the water pump on my 1990 RR classic 3.9 V8. I refilled the system from the radiator plug. Now, when I fired up the car it reached operating temp and it stayed there but there is no heat coming from the vents of the heater inside the car. I think it's fairly obvious that I have an airlock in the heater matrix. How do I fix that? Is it possible to fix without flushing the system? Any advise is welcome. Alex P.S. My car for some reason does not have the filling tower that 3.9s have thus I was forced to fil from the radiator.

Reply to
Ìáíþëçò ÌáõñÜêçò

Manolis Hi,

I would suggest you try operating the engine until the thermostat opens and let it run with the heater lever at the "as hot as possible" settings.

This way you may let the air bubbles flow to the rad. When you say filling tower do you mean the water expansion tank? I think this should exist in your car. Is your car converted to 3.9 or a genuine one?

If you wish to contact me please tell me so. I presume you are based in Greece as I am.

Take care Pantelis Giamarellos LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Try Pantelis trick - I did this on mine and, after a day or so, it cleared the airlock by itself (in the meantime there was lots of gurgling and water noises form the heater but no heat!)

If that does not work and you are missing the filling tower that sits above RH rocker cover then try the following.

Park car on a sideways slope so that the radiator expansion tank is higher than the engine. With the engine off disconnect one of the pipes from the water pump to the heater, make sure that the heat lever inside the car is set to as hot as possible. Slowly fill the system through the expansion tank or the filler hole on the topside of the radiator - this may force air out of the heater matrix and out through the disconnected pipe. Reconnect pipe and your away.

Graeme

Reply to
Graeme

Hugh Hi,

Since I also live in Greece I guess I can reply instead of Manolis. Greece has a very wide range of ambient temperatures around the year. How does -20 degrees Celsius sound to you? IIRC this was one of the lowest temperatures recorded this year.

Even where I live, which is right in front of the sea at the central to Southern part of mainland Greece (not in the islands) we had three days of snow and ice covered roads when even my Landies had to use snow chains in order to be safely mobile.

Most people picture Greece as a hot climate and summer/sea/sand/sex vacation destination but the true picture is that it also offers excellent winter sports (including sex !!!!) conditions.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos