Anti-roll bar

latest acquisition has such a thing on the front axle as well as the back.

not seen such on a disco before. improves the road manners markedly, though I daresay it restricts wheel travel a bit off-road.

anyone know how easy or otherwise it is to retro fit the front ARB, and indeed whether you can? I'd quite fancy putting one on the other disco, which never really goes off-road anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin,

If the brackets exist on your other Disco - it can be done. It they are not there...cut em off a scrapper and weld em on ;-)

For info - Piglet still runs with both his Anti-roll bars - they *do* restrict overall articulation, however not to an extent that should ever worry anyone greenlaning/randonee'ing or playing ;-) He still managed to do ok at the twist-off (first vehicle up the ramp to list it's front nearside wheel b4 the back!)

-- Neil

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Austin Hi,

It can be done. At least on vehicles after 1993 model year as a few friends have done so here in Greece.

Just check that the mounting points are on the axle and the holes on the chassis.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

On or around Wed, 19 May 2004 09:31:26 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

had a closer look, mine has only a front ARB, mother's has only a rear one. The rear one can't be so good, as that one rolls more. Unless that's the extra weight of the TDi lump. I'd not looked noticed there wasn't one on the back of mine 'til now...

odd.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Piece of cake to fit, the axle brackets simply bolt onto the axle using the hockey stick bolts, and the chassis brackets are screws into threaded holes in the chassis. If your chassis doesn't have the holes, find one that does, and mark out and drill yours to match, then find a local bodyshop who can fit some threaded inserts for you.

Reply to
SimonJ

Front and rear antirol bars have made a huge difference on my 1985 Land Rover 90, swapped the chassis for a 300TDi version that had the brackets already on. The brackets dont have threaded inserts they are just a metal bracket with straight holes through and a nyloc nut on the back?

Fergus

Reply to
Fergus Kendall

The threaded inserts are in the chassis, where the bracket bolts to the chassis, rather than where the bar bolts to the bracket.

Reply to
SimonJ

On or around Wed, 19 May 2004 23:48:53 +0000 (UTC), "SimonJ" enlightened us thusly:

the back one is as described. not looked at the front one in detail yet.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 20 May 2004 07:46:23 +0100, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

front one, bracket bolted to chassis, ARB bolted to bracket. and to the axle, of course...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Unfortunately I've just thrown all the bits you need in the skip (by 'just' I mean about a month ago, so its gone, sorry!) as I have removed them from my rangie which only used off road now.

Reply to
SimonJ

On or around Thu, 20 May 2004 20:07:49 +0000 (UTC), "SimonJ" enlightened us thusly:

typical, innit. However, mother claims not to be bothered by body roll, so no big hassle.

Reply to
Austin Shackles