Freelander Rear door opens while driving

I have an interesting fault on my 2002 Freelander TD4 ES which I hope somebody may be able to help me with.

When driving the Freelander with the lights and wipers on the rear door will open, not a good thing when you have 2 dogs in the back of the car on the motorway!

When the fault occurrs you hear a buzzing noise for the rear door like a solenoid chattering, the door the opens and I mean opens, not just unlocks but flies open! I wasn't even aware it was possible to open the rear door electronically.

I have noticed that when the fault occurrs the wipers apear to slow down, and you get random display warnings apearing on the dash. Also the rear window may or may not go down and the rear wiper will start running and the only way to stop it is to turn the lights off, now how wierd is that!

Any thoughts or ideas welcome...maybe I should get a priest perform an exorcism on the beast.

Martin

Reply to
Mr Angry

Hi!

The vehicle should still be under LR warranty, I'd take it back to them and let them scratch their heads at it ;-)

Sounds like an electrical problem, and that is a complex car in ES format....

Neil

Neil Brownlee

Sounds like your Emergency Dog Ejection Sensor is faulty. Your dealer will probably claim never to have heard of this, but it's a common problem, so don't leave until he fixes it :)

Failing that, sounds like an exorcism would be best. This actually sounds like it has just a teensy safety implication so I hope your dealer will be only too keen to sort it out.

David

Reply to
David French

I've had problems in the past with the taildoor handle switch going closed circuit intermittently causing the door to open, sometimes the door opens as soon as you put the ignition on, also the door sometimes doesn't open when you want it to. sounds like a new handle assembly is required. hope this helps.. stevie...

Reply to
Stevie