Back in the club!!!!

Just relax and enjoy it 140 miles is no problem do it often you get used to the noise.Heater in my series 3 works fine soon warms the cab up.Also the engine and gearbox soon warm up the inside anyway...I cruise at 60-65 mph with no overdrive...easily. Check the fluids and go for it foot down all the way home. Remember people still use series vehicles to travel the world.

Reply to
Adrian Ford

I won Paul Browns S3 on eBay last night for £820!!! I feel the name 'Albert' may be appropriate?

Just gotta get down to Aylesbury to pick him up now! Might be a long slow & noisy drive home!!!

Any tips for driving a series 3 for 140 miles??

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 (Albert) soon!

Reply to
Nige

'Albert' may be appropriate?

& noisy drive home!!!

Ear plugs?

Reply to
George Spigot

Nige vaguely muttered something like ...

We towed a caravan from Nottingham to Tiverton, then on to Swansea, then back to Nottingham with an S3. Stick it at 50, with the window open and an MP3 player in your ears .. and the biggest smile ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, George Spigot at snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote on 3/12/04 5:57 pm:

someone to talk to or should I say shout at on the long drive back, warm clothes, a torch and spare batteries, jack and tool kit, mobile phone and the number for the AA/RAC.....and a sense of humour.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

I always carry my old sleeping bag in mine at this time of year so that if i break down and have a couple of hours wait i'm not going to freeze! Also take some food/drink and a book to read incase of the above occurance :)

It also never hurts to have some spare landrover juice's in the back somewhere (EP90 and engine oil). Youre gonna get through gallons of it now, so you might as well have it in the back for when you need it.

Good luck!, and enjoy the drive.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Reply to
Paul Coley

Toolkit, needs a good torch and groundsheet to lie on in this weather :). Stop sooner than later and get some oil. Container of water. Ear plugs (not ear defenders) help with making sense of how the vehicle is running having cut out a lot of the noise, you tend to feel it more than hear it. A towel over the plastic seats helps but only really when it is hot, not a problem for you this time :). Small flat cushion for the seat back. Clean cloths to wipe the inside of the windscreen and side windows, or even better, someone else to do that for you. AA Recovery membership. Credit Card, again, preferably someone elses :) Serious attempt at getting back home while it is still light with some margin of comfort.

Anyway, 140 miles? Pah! Try over 700 with no windscreen, doors or roof. And it's pink, hmmm, nice.

Maybe borrow a transport trailer and do the journey in some comfort?

Reply to
wayne

Allow at least a week!

Reply to
SimonJ

A scarf.

A flask of tea.

One glove. The draught only seems to come in on one side!

Oh. and you'd best take some black maskers and some baler twine.

Judith

Reply to
Judith

Jump in and go - I drove that distance in my Dad's unmodified Series IIa last week. Took me about 4 hours including coffee and petrol stops.

Reply to
EMB

Earplugs :)

Na they are fun to drive really and a lot quicker than a horse and buggy.

Reply to
Larry

Engine oil is an essential for me, and the jerrycan on the back.

Never mind the sleeping bag, what about a Kelly Kettle.

Reply to
Larry

Why warm clothes, my S111's heater works so well you would be turning it down after a few miles. Ear plugs would certainly be a good idea if it's not soundproofed. (mine is and it's still noisy) Spare tank of fuel just in case the fuel gauge is untrustworthy (mine was originally, temp gauge too, dodgy earth behind the panel) Torch etc I agree with.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Once did 2500 miles in a S3 in winter, no worries, get in and go.

As it's new to you take a round of fluids just in case.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Didn't realise it'd had a V8 conversion...

Reply to
Mother

Yup, plenty fluids. Coffee and Brandy high on my list. (Makes waiting for the recovery truck more pleasant)

Reply to
Mother

Must be the only heater that does then, mine is not very effective, you get more heat from the engine and gearbox coming through than the heater, notwithstanding those flaps which control the vents don't work.

Reply to
Larry

'Albert' may be appropriate?

& noisy drive home!!!
Reply to
murph

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Bob Hobden at snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote on 3/12/04 10:54 pm:

The heater works on our series 3 and the lightweight too, I suggested it in case the heater doesn't/has to walk anywhere/get out to repair or change a tyre.

some spare batteries would be usefull too. Bruce very often picks up a torch to use it and one of the kids has left it on.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley