Bearmach safari style snorkel

All,

Anybody bought one of them for a defender TD5 (currently on special at one of the mail order places)? Is it any good?

Cheers,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

special at one

So I in the end ordered it (prompt delivery) and fitted it.

The quality is good.

The instructions are not so good. The first read seemed really obscure but after several reads and looking at the car and the normal air intake clarified everything.

2 bad things though.

The first is that the instructions have a big warning on them, saying that it is the responsibility of the fitter to make sure the template they provide is correct. And the only instruction they give to check that is that it fits the snorkel body, which mine did. However, aligning it on the body is less than obvious since the opening in the template only match the opening in the wing very loosely. So I thought the side of the template was meant to be aligned with the side of the wing (and of the bulkhead). This was clearly wrong. This is why the say you need to drill 16mm holes (for 8mm bolts). In fact, I ended up drilling much smaller but having oval holes! I would recommend making another template with 9 or 10mm holes in, taping it to the snorkel, putting the snorkel in place, then taping the template to the car body and untaping it from the snorkel. Doing that would give the correct position for small holes.

The second thing is that they say to drill 3.5mm holes in the windscreen pillar for the provided self tapping screws that were less then 3.5mm in outside diameter. It was lucky I checked that before.

Bearmach, if you are listening and ever re-make a mould, the bottom screen could be a little further out, away from the existing air ducts inside, so that there is a little more room to fit the nut.

Apart from that, it looks like the snorkel if of god quality and strong enough.

I hope this can help somebody.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Labrosse